web sites

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by joepepper2001, Jun 30, 2007.

1. how do you know if the web site your at is real?

I'm talking about these fishing sites, like the ebay thing or pay pal where they make a site that looks exactly like ebay and want you to enter your info

i'm trying to find out if you google a site like rjobrien how are you sure your at the real site?

are there signs in the address that can tell you if its real or fake?

i KNOW NOT TO ANSWER ANY REQUEST FOR INFO BUT IF SOMEBODY IS RUNING A DEAL SAY FXCM AND THEY SEND YOU A LINK TO get a demo and you enter info is there a way to check them out, if you google fxcm and call the numberI quess that would work but what if the googled one is the fishing site

has anybody heard of anybody going that far in a scam to set up a site that actually has a demo platform that works real time and then the site is really a scam, I didn't think they would get that crazy to set up a fishing site that was that real

2. Surdo

Surdo

The real link for a legitimate company's homepage is going to be first on GOOGLE. Why not type the actual address in your browser?

Why are you worried about a DEMO account being a phishing scheme, are we a little paranoid guy?

3. a little

4. maybe a lot LOL

its not the demo account , its after I demo and then wire money into an account that I like to be sure that i'm dealing with the right folks

just something I was thinking about, I've have opened many accounts and never really thought about it until today

5. HOBO

HOBO

6. Thanks

Its not fxcm just using them as an example, how do you know if malicious code got on to your computer?

a virus scan might not find that,

what if you do load some bad code on tues and then use it for a couple days and then backdate your computer to monday so the site is gone, does it really leave or is it in there forever?

7. Don't know if this will help, but close out all of your other Web browsers except the one with the site you want to check out. Go to your MS-Dos prompt, usually Start Menu---Programs---Accessories---Command Prompt. Type netstat at the prompt line and it will show you all of your web connections. You can use the named and/or I.P. addresses to verify friend or foe.

MyOwnBoss

8. who else uses them as an example if not fxcm>

9. Security Tip: Even if a web page starts with "https" and contains a key or
    closed padlock, it's still possible that it may not be secure. Some phishers,
    for example, make spoofed websites which appear to have padlocks. To double-
    check, click on the padlock icon on the status bar to see the security
    certificate for the site. Following the "Issued to" in the pop-up window
    you should see the name matching the site you think you're on. If the name
    differs, you are probably on a spoofed site.