Wealth, poverty and compassion

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. I'm thinking it is mostly about comfort - how comfortably you can live, and how comfortably you get to die (though there is no guarantee of that no matter how much you have).

Still, there are some who could live relatively comfortably but for some reason seek out something else. I saw this story of Tom Little over the weekend

http://mw.cnn.com/snarticle?c=cnnd_latest&p=0&aId=20100808:afghanistan.aid.widow:1

As an optometrist he probably could have lived a reasonably comfortable life. Instead, that wasn't enough for him and he paid for what he chose to do with his life.

So the final question to Tom Little is: "What did you do with what you had?" And as usual, it is the people he did it to that will answer that question, not him.

#21     Aug 9, 2010
  2. Eight

Eight

Anybody at all can immensely improve the world today, they just have to mind their own business!!

and all the compassionate people that can't do the math have stuck a newborn with $1,000,000 in unfunded liabilities and debt!! How 'bout some compassion on a healthy newborn? I know a lot of liberals, they can't do the math... you talk about unfunded liabilities and they call you a right wing dick or something.. pieces of shit...

#22     Aug 9, 2010
  3. #23     Aug 9, 2010
  4. This is a psychological study on separating people from their money. Suppose I can shame someone into donating $5 but the guy is a dead beat dad who never pays child support. Am I a successful fund raiser. Hell yea.

People in all walks of life are at different levels of giving and compassion, more so, imo, the wealthy. Why should I worry how much Trump donates, perhaps he chooses to donate at the end of his life, why analyze his motives? Because he has money and we need it?

America is the richest country on the planet and the most generous. There is always someone who needs more, like Hillary said "We [our country] don't have enough money for everything I want to do." Booyah! Obama does.

#24     Aug 9, 2010