Wealth, poverty and compassion

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. heypa

heypa

If you're rich and generous you will soon be poor unless you're income stream exceeds your generosity.If that happens what happens to the recipiants? I know they just find another rich doner to bleed.
    Kinda like Obomanomics .
    The result. Unless you are on the inside you are all to be poor.

#11     Aug 9, 2010
  2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I agree. I volunteer at one of the poorest elementary schools where I live. I see where both parents work, yet are still poor. They're responsible and expect their kids to do well in school and be respectful. It's a pleasure to interact with them. Sadly, there are others who choose not to work; rely on welfare, food stamps, etc. to get by. They have no chance to ever escape the environment they're trapped in and the kids are punished due to the parents choices. In some of these cases I'd love to take the kids away from them and put them in a stable environment where they can thrive and further excel. Many people where I live have no interest in going into a school that is so poor as they see it beneath them and they're "fearful".

#12     Aug 9, 2010
  3. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

The kids I work with are adversely impacted. When families have no real incomes it's sad to see parents buying big screen TV's, leasing (buying) new SUV's (Escalades, Yukons) and neglecting the basics. The kids lack proper nourishment and the cycle of poverty continues.

#13     Aug 9, 2010
  4. Money is power. Use it/wield it (lack of compassion towards the poor), or lose it.

#14     Aug 9, 2010
  5. Darwinism works on the evolutionary time-scale, not in day-to-day life.

one can be poor and considered unsuccessful economically at present, but may breed a lot and be extremely successful with spreading his/her genes into the future. on the other hand, somebody rich may have been too busy making money to procreate.

#15     Aug 9, 2010
  6. nitro

nitro

My experience is that people that are affluent are often the most compassionate people by a wide margin, and that the less fortunate tend to be cynical rude and mean.

Kennilworth, IL is one of the most affluent areas in the country. Recently, I chanced upon a Marathon gas station there where they had hired several workers whose job it was to give you full service, at no extra charge. There were men working at the gas station where normally this is a job that would be filled by high school kids. This was clearly an errand of mercy. Every chance I get I fill up here.

#16     Aug 9, 2010
  7. Ha - that reminds of the scene in" Back To The Future" when Marty sees the attendants at a service station all come out to service a car with coordinated precision. :D

I have seen both - people who were very well off but did good things generally unseen, and those with little but often gave of their time and attention because they were strapped for cash.

Likewise I've seen the opposite - well-to-do that were outwardly successful but failed miserably as human beings. And the crime stats are usually about the poor (though if you are very rich, you could do a biggie financial one and use lawyers to try and get you off the hook).

I think the relevant question is, when you take your dirt nap, "What did you do with what you had?" But the people you did it to are going to be the ones that answer, not you.

#17     Aug 9, 2010
  8. If only governments would have not interfered during the crash of 08.

Then this dividence within society would be far less of an issue.

#18     Aug 9, 2010
  9. quickly making ton of money tends to bring an asshole in the person.

going from being rich to poor tends to make the person bitter.

#19     Aug 9, 2010
  10. because you dont get rich by being generous. you get rich by being a prick and living frugal.

#20     Aug 9, 2010