Wealth-Lab...

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by WDGann, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Thank you, Dionn for taking your time in this site.

Also, I have all my signal coming out of Wealth-Lab for my system trading tasks...

I guess all the questions should toward Glitch (Dion) should be mentioned at:

www.wealth-lab.com

Anyways, VK (I'm grateful for you contribution in Omega-list, though I'm a lurker) and Gltich thanks... I have learned so much as a market coder from your work.

Thanks again!!!

#21     Feb 20, 2003
  2. Of course, Basic, C family would do you better but if it comes to stand-alone trading objected program, WL is the best...

I'm a C family (all of C/C++/C#) coder and somethings (like the Gann system code) is done in C# due to speed and flexibility issues.

But yeah, VB and Delphi in itself will do more...

#22     Feb 20, 2003
  3. Glitch

Glitch

There's a question of balance. Do you want to write your own code to support and load many different data formats? Do you want to write code to create indicators based on historical price data? Do you want to write low level routines to compress historical data from daily to weekly, 5 minute to 60 minute, and synchronize different data series by date? Do you want to write the code to render the price data and indicators on a chart in bar, candle, point & figure (etc.) formats? You get the idea :) If the answer is yes and you're a good programmer then of course the sky's the limit with a standard Windows development environment like Delphi or MS Visual Studio.

Dion Kurczek

#23     Feb 20, 2003
  4. As an editor software you have to cope with generic programming. Generic programming is much longer. It is not the case when you program specifically for your own need. I am a software architect in fact so I know the problem of generic programming (I only do that for clients if they have money to pay the time needed for generic programming :p ) I don't program myself I had to pay an engineer to do so. That's why we bought Wealthlab because we wanted to do things rapidly at minimal cost. But finally after one month we gave up. It is not a critic of Wealthlab it is a general problem: when you buy a commercial package you are sure constrained by what it offers and have to wait months or years for the evolution of the product.

As for compression routines it is not the hardest part in my opinion. Complexities rather lie in user interface and interactivity that's why I mentionned this lack but it is not specific to Wealthlab I even agree that WL is one of the best product in his category but the whole category has still to evolve :D : I really thing that ergonomy in trading system and generally in so called "professional softwares" are late compared to other softwares for the mass public: it seems like when it is too easy to use it is not considered professional :p

#24     Feb 20, 2003
  5. Glitch

Glitch

I agree with what you say. With our Version 3.0 release coming up we hope that we're contributing to evolution in the right direction :)

Dion Kurczek

#25     Feb 20, 2003