Wealth-Lab...

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by WDGann, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Uhh ... summer I believe he said.

#11     Feb 18, 2003
  2. Kinda slow... and how about the intraday, particularly futures, testing on your website.

I have been asking for that for some time and I know that you guys have this on your list of priorities, but when could we expect it? I would not mind paying say $10 a month to be able to do that when I need to, for trading/charting I would use something else, but for backtesting I would use WL.

WL is the most user-friendly piece of backtesting software I have found yet.

#12     Feb 18, 2003
  3. ges

ges

My main complaint about WL is it's speed. I run tests and scans over several thousand stocks symbols at a time and it just isn't fast enough...at least with what I was trying to do. I'm back to TechnifilterPlus for now. May not have all WL's bells and whistles but it is very fast and does most of what I need.

I'll keep watching WL, it is a nice piece of software.

g

#13     Feb 18, 2003
  4. Glitch

Glitch

wally,

When you perform your scans did you reduce the number of bars to load? The default is to load all available data. Reducing the amount of data to the minumim required greatly increases the speed of the scans.

#14     Feb 18, 2003
  5. onelot

onelot

The desktop version can test intraday futures... with all the ES points you say you're making, I would think you could afford it.

#15     Feb 18, 2003
  6. I must have been misunderstood... I meant you were being slow with release 3.0 scheduled for this summer. Since it promises many new long awaited features, I was hoping it would be released sooner.

I did not mean to imply that the software was slow, it was just fine for me. I used its trial version, I am waiting for ver 3.0 to (perhaps) buy it.

#16     Feb 18, 2003
  7. Glitch

Glitch

Oops, I meant to address that reply to ges, sorry :)

>>Since it promises many new long awaited features, I was hoping it would be released sooner. <<

That's really the reason the development cycle is taking a bit longer than our V1 to V2 upgrade cycle. Many of the new features (including an automated execution interface) are heavy duty and we need plenty of time for testing.

#17     Feb 18, 2003
  8. I already have one software for that, Amibroker, but I find WL more user-friendly. Also, my strategies are not so complicated, so I am in no rush to get another software for this. So far I have been able to backtest them manually. And if I finally decide to get another software like that, I want to make sure it has all I need.

BTW, thanks for noting how well I am doing in trading. That's not even remotely pertinent to this thread, but that's another story.

#18     Feb 18, 2003
  9. ges

ges

Glitch,

I was running tests and scans on a 'basket' or portfolio type strategy and this was just too slow. TF's basket testing is kind of buggy but I can make it work and it is MANY times faster. Not putting down WL, it seems a very capable piece of software, but it's just too slow for what I'm trying to do.

gs

#19     Feb 19, 2003
  10. I agree that WL is an easy language but programming an interactive user interface with WL is impossible: there is no events associated with objects as far as I know so coding an entire integrated trading system with a traditional programming environment is still a good choice. This is rather easy with a tool like VB or Delphi. Now my opinion is based on version 1 (just a detail if you want to move the software to another machine it's not easy because of the protection system, I don't know if it is still the case). Also I think an online version with data feeding as asp service would be more advantageous than this hungry piece of software that can compete with Excel as for eating memory :D

#20     Feb 19, 2003