We used to call them bribes...but now they call it lobbying

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Crispy, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Gee, that's pretty close.
    I am in favor of a complete government takeover, or something like you are suggesting.

#31     Dec 23, 2011
  2. i am in favor of something like medicare. i know medicare works. i have had 4 parents go through the medicare system and they recieved excellent care. we just have to reform it so it is self sufficient.

#32     Dec 23, 2011
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Even liberals and conservatives can agree on some things.
    I can't understand why we have trillions of dollars to flush down the toilet in other countries, yet we have people all over the country who suffer because they can't pay for decent health care.

If we have medicare and the VA system, why can't everyone else be taken care of???---Because of politics, that's why.

#33     Dec 23, 2011
  4. Max E.

Max E.

that is just a minor detail.

#34     Dec 23, 2011
  5. I've talked to very sincere people who ask the same question. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I think it' s mainly a question of costs. Let's not forget that medicare is essentially broke. So while the model of having a government-administered insurance system provides OK care for many, it gradually becomes a monster that consumes the entire budget. And I say works for "many." Where I live, plenty of doctors refuse to accept medicare patients. Too much hassle and too low reimbursements. I hear varying reports about the VA system. Some say it is good, but then you hear horror stories.

The other problem is the creeping nature of bureaucracies. NASA once put a man on the moon, and in a pretty short time after they set the mission goal. These days it wastes so much money and accomplishes so little, there is considerable sentiment to defund it. Do we really want to turn over control of health care to government drones and whichever pols manage to get themselves elected? The thought scares me. It will be like getting a liquor license in chicago. Your chances depend on how many pols you have funded, etc.

I do agree with your point about pissing away money on crap like nation-building in afghanistan when we have programs here that people depend on going broke. Roin Paul made the identical point in a debate.

#35     Dec 23, 2011
  6. Max E.

Max E.

Well said, i just wanted to comment on this one point....

There is going to be 10,000 boomers retiring per day for the next 20 years, i would love for anyone to tell me how we are going to figure out those numbers as it pertains to medicare.....It is suicidal to try for universal healthcare, when medicare is already going to bankrupt us, unless we take drastic measures. Obamacare is probably the most irresponsible piece of legislation ever passed in the history of this country.

#36     Dec 23, 2011
  7. I have a few friends from Canada, and when they tell me how it is done up there, I think, no way can we do that down here. Sometimes you have to wait weeks to be seen for something as serious as a lump.

What needs to be done is to go after Big Pharma, and to get frivolous lawsuits under control. Do you know what it costs to carry mal practice insurance?

That is what needs to happen.

#37     Dec 23, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

What BS. You haze ZERO intellectual honesty and not one shred of unbiased objectivity.

#38     Dec 24, 2011
  9. You are right. Corruption in both parties runs rampant. WE NEED RON PAUL .

#39     Dec 25, 2011
  10. +1

10 % deducted from your paycheck to buy into medicare would be a great solution imo

#40     Dec 25, 2011