We need to start building again.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, May 19, 2011.

1. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

You could say that about residential housing, but there's a lot of office, retail, manufacturing buildings that are empty because of a stagnant at best economy. We do need to be building again, and we need to build not more building but more companies.

We need to help entrepreneurs as much as humanly possibly, from taxes, to regulations to financial assistance as warranted. As long as society punishes those who try to build society, society will continue to be in decline.

#11     May 19, 2011
  2. Larson

Larson Guest

Yeah, at least they are still intact. In some areas of shithole USA, the hood rats would have already torched and pillaged.

#12     May 19, 2011
  3. the sad truth is that americas growth days are over. we are a fully mature society. we have all the stores, office buildings ect that we need. the only construction we need is replacing and maintence of what we already have that is falling apart.

#13     May 19, 2011
  4. Omigod, does that mean that the free mkt doesn't work? There's empty buildings (supply) and you say there's people who want to live in them (demand). What the heck is goin' on?

#14     May 19, 2011
  5. Exactly, sounds like someone is going "full retard" on this plea to build more vanity skyscrapers.

Anybody have a clue just HOW MUCH commercial office space sits completely vacant across this country right about now? It's absolutely frigging mind blowing how much space was overbuilt in the commercial sector over the past decade. We need some vanity skyscraper like we need a hole in our collective heads.

Or maybe Peil wants us to blow more money and weaken the dollar further so we can all just ride the precious metals gravy train. I used to think the guy had some common sense, but lately his contradictions are so absurd, I figure he must be riding the crazy train.

#15     May 19, 2011
  6. Some of us took "building" to mean, "build business, build the economy"... not real estate.

#16     May 19, 2011
  7. There are literally not enough businesses in this entire country to fill all the empty commercial and retail space. It was overbuilt to such extremes that it will NEVER be occupied.

Kind of like the ghost estates of Ireland or the empty cities of China. I'm sure the coast of Spain has a similar issue as well. Point being that the train ran off the tracks years ago and the end user was not even a consideration while all of these projects were greenlighted. We're not even 5 years into the fallout and you're clamoring for more development.

#17     May 19, 2011
  8. bone

bone

Umm, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid and Barack Obama shoved a $900B 'shovel ready' construction & building 'stimulus program' down our throats three years ago, Yes ?

#18     May 19, 2011
  9. Most people don't understand that perpetual growth is impossible. I'm glad you do.

#19     May 20, 2011