We need big losses from time to time, to rethink the strategy and improve it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Evermore2017, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Everything in trading is all relative to the overall, greater picture. Of your specific situation.

Losses will happen. I'm sure we can atleast all agree on that much.

5% is nothing to fret about, just so long as your average gain or wins are much greater than that.
    Trading is more or less a basic average numbers game. -- Kind of like a fight or sports...if you have more men, you're more likely, generally, to win.

I don't mind losing 20% or 30% or even 40% in a day. -- If my gain capabilities are 70, 80, 90, 110% plus.
    But more importantly, it's 2018...Make Trading Great Again...High-Five` o_O, :confused:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    #11     Feb 25, 2018
    rb7 likes this.
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

Question the value of all of these posts saying no big deal - without knowing "the whole story".

Unless the purpose of this topic was to receive a lot of attaboys only.

#12     Feb 25, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  3. neke

neke

Same goes for those saying BIG DEAL without knowing the whole story.

But seriously it is no big deal if he is making 50% or more per year. You would think he was saying 50% loss a day here. I make 5% loss a day more than 4 times a year. No, my account hasn't blown up in more than 10 years

#13     Feb 25, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.
  4. ironchef

ironchef

You have very very impressive returns and I congratulate your achievements. I do have one suggestion:

Calculate your Kelly and use that as a guide for finding your trade size. For example, if your Kelly is 20%, using 10% is aggressive but if it is 50% then it is not. I reduced my size to < 1/4 Kelly in 2017 after coachings from some folks here.

Best wishes.

#14     Feb 25, 2018
    comagnum likes this.
  5. Thank you,

My Kelly(last 12 months) is: 41.79% , so

Is it correct to use between 1/4 and 1/2 Kelly depending on the strength of the signal or pattern?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    #15     Feb 25, 2018
  6. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup: Very impressive! Very good question too.

I don't really know if this is like betting in poker or blackjack where you change your bet size depending on the cards on hand.

From what I read and from all the coaching I received here, it seems one should use a constant size because you really don't know if a strong signal will give you high wining. Trades are not deterministic and are governed by probability, affected by noise. I was told to adjust my size only when my Kelly, which I constantly update, changes significantly.

I hope others can chime in and help us on this one.

#16     Feb 25, 2018
  7. aldrums

aldrums

You haven’t actually explained how much you are risking per trade. What percent of your account is your stop loss? How many day trades do you put on at a time?

#17     Feb 25, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  8. I did not know about Kelly until you mentioned it. I was online poker player, so betting sizes are in my mind in trading. Sometimes I tend to raise my bet size and that is possibly a mistake here.

#18     Feb 26, 2018
  9. Most of the time two trades at a time, three maximum. 2% of the total capital is the stop loss per trade. 6% max drawdown to stop trading and review my strategy, like last Friday.

#19     Feb 26, 2018
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

What do you mean "review your strategy" (exactly) ?

You doing new backtesting, you reviewing each trade to see if you've been following the rules of your trade signal strategy, you reviewing the price action you're trading, you reviewing your trade management rules, you're updating your statistical analysis via recent metrics...what ???

wrbtrader

#20     Feb 26, 2018