We Need A Linux Distro For Trading

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by echoman, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Whatever you work under linux or windows, you have to put the bricks together !

#51     Aug 22, 2005
  2. I like Linux. Wasn't knocking it with my comment, just pointing out that his statement wasn't exactly logical IMHO.

#52     Aug 22, 2005
  3. I know, but you never find a software that has everything you need....unless you've written it yourself. Under word, you need to set your margins, tabs, etc... Under excel, you need to put your formulas, etc...

#53     Aug 22, 2005
  4. True. But there is a big difference between having to learn C/C++ and changing margins in a word processor.

#54     Aug 22, 2005
  5. Hello all,
    Since this is a linux thread I thought I was ask a question regarding charting software and what is currently out there for linux users.

Are there any one out there currently trading on a linux box, if so what charting software are you using and what is your data feed?

What is out there for linux in regard to charting software?

thanks

#55     Aug 22, 2005
  6. That wasn't fair. You do not "have to" learn c/c++ to use Linux. You can use the existing softwares there are (qtstalker etc) and they work just fine. So at this point Linux and Windows are about equal. (BTW, there is no qtstalker available for Windows so I'd say advantage Linux.) However, if you do know c/c++, then you can code your own plugin for qtstalker without the need to pay anyone. Wait, you can pay ME to write the plugin for you, and I won't charge you an arm and a leg.

When was the last time that a Windows software allowed you to write your own (proprietary) plugin for free?

#56     Aug 22, 2005
  7. It was fair. You are taking that one statement out of context from my reply to an earlier reply that resulted in that statement. I never said you had to learn to program in order to use Linux.

eSignal lets you do that. So does Microsoft Office. Windows Internet Exporer. Cobb StreetTuner. The list goes on and on. Plugins aren't Linux exclusive.

#57     Aug 22, 2005
  8. Dude, Matrox was one of the first to open up all of their specs. I led a project way back in the day to create OpenGL drivers based on their specs. See Utah-GLX.
    This work was later ported to be part of XFree86 proper.

#58     Aug 22, 2005
  9. Granted, but Aunt Millie (or Joe Trader) doesn't give a shit whose fault it is, she just wants her computer to work. You can't say Linux is easy to use just because it's "the industry's" fault that it's hard to use.

In any case, even supported hardware can be a real pain to configure in Linux. Two examples, multiple graphics cards, and multichannel sound cards.

Of course hardware configuration is just the most egregious of Linux' numerous usability flaws.

Keep in mind, I hate Windows and use it only as a last resort. Linux is more powerful, flexible, configurable, secure... but not easier to use.

Martin

#59     Aug 22, 2005
  10. Just customizations ... If you dont want to program then I'm afraid you need to resort to paper and pencil - Windows wont do it for you either.

It all boils down to whether you want to partner with $soft or not.

We dont, and have found getting rid of them has dramatically cut our software and hardware costs while raising productivity. The great thing is that we dont give a flying F*** what $soft decides to do: on Linux we have the source code and can customize anything we want and we dont need to argue with a vendor ad nauseum to fix soemthing critical or add or remove functionality.

Measure the integrity of the people that run $soft and then you decide if you want to do business with them: We dont .....

#60     Aug 22, 2005