We Need A Linux Distro For Trading

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by echoman, Aug 19, 2005.

1. It seems from the API release notes that you can get up to 6 months of data. If you request 1 min bars you get 1 day's worth per request. For five minute bars, you get 1 week of data per request. For each request you specify the end date for the requested data. By making multiple requests with appropriate end dates, you can have 6 months worth.

#31     Aug 20, 2005
  2. Go to Fry's, buy two of the cheapest sound card you can find, put one in a Windows PC and the other in a Linux PC, get them both working. Then come back and tell me that Linux is easier to use than Windows!

Martin

#32     Aug 21, 2005
  3. 1) I don't know what " Fry's " is
    2) I don't know what is the type of "cheapest sound card" you have choosen
    3) If sound card makers do not release drivers for linux, then don't buy their sound cards. It's a clear and obvious sign of a monopoly by M$, which must be fighted.
    4) This is one thing you have to do before buying any hardware while using linux : check the hardware database. But I repeat it, this is not a linux problem, this is an industry problem. If linux was used by 95% of people, I would like to see how many drivers are released for windows...

#33     Aug 21, 2005
  4. Holmes

Holmes

As far as I can see is that Amibroker does not support R/T tick bars which is mandatory for me.

Have started to investigate VMware 5.0 on Linux after I noticed that MSN recently insisted on "validating" the OS and at the same time installed activation code (meaning they can also disable your machine......) MSN has been wanting to do this for a long time but the present US government is condoning this.

Sherlock

#34     Aug 21, 2005
  5. VMware is a great soft, but be prepared to have a lot of memory in your PC :)

#35     Aug 21, 2005
  6. Holmes

Holmes

What about using IQfeed to download backfill under Windows (VMware?) and RT from IB? This is what I presently do under windows but am investigating that route for Linux.

Sherlock

#36     Aug 21, 2005
  7. Holmes

Holmes

Memory is cheap these days and I find it runs fine with 768Mb on a 1.8Ghz Pentium M

Sherlock

#37     Aug 21, 2005
  8. I don't think 768Mo of RAM is really enough. I would consider a minimum of 512Mo for each OS running. If you notice that speed becomes an issue, you better be prepared to upgrade your RAM.

#38     Aug 21, 2005
  9. Holmes

Holmes

1) scripting ability: does this mean we cannot make our own indicators? (no need to create systems /strategy as I trade "visual" which I consider a form of discretionary trading)
    2) does it support tick data?

Thanks
    Sherlock

#39     Aug 21, 2005
  10. Holmes

Holmes

My machine can take up to 2Gb but have not found it necessary to increase (yet). Still experimenting. Thanks for sharing your experiences, which version of VMware do you use?

Sherlock

#40     Aug 21, 2005