We Knew This Was Coming--Obama Targets IRA's

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I'm not advocating income or wealth parity. I agree with your comments about the need for incentives.

My point, and perhaps pie's, is that the traditional relationship between the middle class and the very upper levels has become distorted. Part of it is no doubt due to the loss of relatively high-paying manufacturing jobs. Part of it is probably due to the startling increase in compensation for people like athletes, entertainers and hedge fund managers. The part i really take issue with is the staggering increase in CEO pay.

I saw today that Larry Ellison made $96 million in salary and bonuses this past year. I believe he got another 96 mill or so in stock options. He is the worst example, but there are hundreds or thousands of others who are not all that far behind him.

Can anyone really say that Ellison is providing such invaluable contributions to Oracle that he is worth that? Has the company's performance really been all that outstanding the last few years? Would it have been any worse with someone making half that or a tenth of that running things?

I've done this rant before, so i won't elaborate. I will say I feel the problem is one of corporate governance, not tax policy. However, the failure is so obvious and so corrosive to society that the government has to address it somehow.

#41     Apr 8, 2013
  2. achilles28

achilles28

He's an enemy of the Republic, that's for sure. All these globalist, new world order types are. Communist-fascist Authoritarians..

#42     Apr 8, 2013
  3. #43     Apr 8, 2013
  4. A very apt description of the man the Chinese privately call "monkey boy"(their words, not mine).

#44     Apr 8, 2013
  5. achilles28

achilles28

China is the future, according to the NWO. That's what they want. That's where all this is going.

Haha. Fuck them. I'll fight these bitches.

#45     Apr 8, 2013
  6. Crispy

Crispy

If you dont hold it you dont own it...

#46     Apr 8, 2013
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Beltway, I have some ideas to throw at you for your comment. No particular order here. We all know that a big chunk of the adult working population does not pay any net income tax. If they paid any in, they get it all back. They do pay payroll , sales and excise taxes, and I've read, but don't know if it is true, that some of these folks may actually pay a higher fraction of their gross income in taxes than someone with huge unearned income. That's just something to think about.

But why is it they don't make enough to pay income taxes, and what policies might make it more likely that they could, on their own initiative, move into tax paying status, while improving their living standard?

I agree with you that the income tax rates, not just on the middle class but on all, are about as low as we have seen since the very early days of instituting the income tax. That, I think, is at the root of some of the problems you noted, including the fact such a large portion of the population makes so little money that they don't even qualify to pay income tax.

I doubt we will agree on this, but it's no fun at all to preach to the choir, and that would bore you too. I am convinced --naturally I reserve the right to change my mind--that a major part of the underlying cause for the decimation of the middle classes over the last thirty years -- aside from off shoring, which is indirectly related -- was the unwise income redistribution resulting from what I understand now, in retrospect, to be the faulty economic policies put in place by Reagan in U.S. and Thatcher in England --no wonder they were such good chums! Neither of course originated their economic ideas. Those were popularized and promoted by the "Chicago School" and some neo-liberal economists abroad. They sounded wonderful at the time, but sadly have had a disastrous long term result.

It simply wasn't true that doing away with the progressive tax structure and slashing rates in the upper brackets would increase government revenues. Making rich people richer did not, and does not, make everyone richer! That idea, we learned, is false. Markets were not, and are not, efficient, and they do not move spontaneously and harmlessly toward equilibrium, as Reagan's man, Alan Greenspan, said they would. The hoped-for trickle down effect, that was to lift all boats, lifted only the yachts; row boats and dinghies were left high and dry.

The same people who promoted supply-side economics, for the most part, harbored a deep distrust of government. This led to their wanting to privatize virtually everything that could conceivably be. Eventually this zeal for privatization resulted in present day absurdities, such as corporate run prisons! -- the cost per bed came down, but the overall cost to the taxpayer skyrocketed as each additional prisoner added to corporate profits. We locked up everyone we possibly could and kept them locked up as long as possible. Profits soared right along with crime rates and the prison population!

In Thatchers England it was decided to allow SERPS (a part of their National Insurance equivalent to U.S. Social Security) contributions to be diverted to private pension plans. There were unpleasant, unintended consequences. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...f-inappropriate-savings-products-1432068.html

In spite of this unhappy British experience, later Republican administrations, oblivious to both stock market crashes and the actuarial necessity of wide participation in Social Security, fought hard to privatize all or part of U.S. Social Security. They were beaten back, as the memory of market crashes was conjured up by opponents.

In the U.S. Republican administrations subsequent to Reagan's continued to follow faulty economic theory long after the defects were evident. Thus the Bush II administration, once again, slashed income tax rates, just as Reagan had done, in the face of hugely accelerated government spending. The unintended results were equally bad, as in Reagan's time. The anticipated windfall of new revenue never materialized.

As part of the "new economic thinking," and its companion mad dash to privatize, there was a push to deregulate -- set the private sector free, as it were, from government interference. Let it loose its magic powers of money multiplication upon us all. When Travelers Insurance went places they were not permitted to go they found a friend in Phil Gramm, husband of one of Reagan's chief economic advisors. Gramm solved Travelers problem, but just in the nick of time. He got rid of Glass-Steagall. His wife Wendy was happy to lend a hand by helping to emasculate the CFTC, while passing through on her way to the ENRON Board of Directors. Then came emasculation of the SEC. "Mission Accomplished!" The "incompetent" government was no longer permitted to interfere with making Americans rich. We ordinary folks knew not then how it all would end, but the clairvoyant Mr. Tom Daschle, when he heard Gramm's proposal, predicted the sad ending with uncanny precision. But we didn't listen, and had we, we wouldn't have heard; we were in a rush to get rid of lazy and bad government. We wanted the competence and clear thinking of America's business minds to be in charge. "Get the government slackers out of my way!" "Get rid of government interference," we said, and the economy will do even better. So we did!

Now with the benefit of hindsight, some of us have learned that things are seldom as simple as they might first appear. Neither government nor the private sector has been found to be perfect. Could it be that both have a role to play, and our job is to figure out what that is, or should be?

The supply side economic theories of the past thirty years led ultimately to the near destruction of our progressive income tax system and resulted in a redistribution of wealth, unjustified by merit, from the lower middle class to the uppermost middle class and to the already wealthy. The low end of the former middle class moved into poverty, and many formerly in the top half moved into the bottom half. In the mid 1960's unskilled labor made $10.50/hr (min. wage in constant dollars), today $7.25/hr.

It is time to recognize that government is not entirely bad, and the private sector is not entirely good. We need to bring back progressive income tax and reverse the bad results we got from following faulty economic theory; we need to reverse the wealth redistribution that occurred in the last thirty years by going back to what has worked and jettisoning what has not worked.

If we do this, then thirty years from now the middle class will be larger and many of the other problems you mentioned, while not disappearing, will be far less noticeable.

Reversing the wealth redistribution of the last thirty years should be our top priority, if we want to avoid permanent banana republic status. But we must do at least two other things as well. We must also bring both our medical costs and our defense costs down to the average of the other 13 industrialized nations we compare ourselves to.

All of these things are doable. The first step is to give up on false economic theories, and recognize what actually works as intended..

#47     Apr 9, 2013
  8. jem

jem

I can give you the other version.

Clinton and Secretary Rober Rubin and the bankers were the group which elminated Glass Steagall. Remember Rubin around that time saved the Mexican peso. Rubin was very powerful.

Graham was just another congressional whore owed by the banks. although he was a chairman.

Citigroup and Goldman have dominated the Cabinets of the Presidents.

1. So the bankers and the dems and and the Barney Frank types were, combined a large part of the housing crises.

2. Inflation has screwed the earning power and savings of the middle class. Inflation has been caused by the uncontrolled spending of the govt.

3. Where inflation has not got them... federal local and state taxation creep has gotten them.

Also as govt paid their workers more... the effective lowered the standard of living of the middle class not working for the govt.

4. Jobs were shipped overseas as Ross Perot predicted.
    We have been operating with full on economic stupidity for years in this country.

All those lessons we learned about econ were from the perspective of an Net exporter. When you are a net importer you are a bunch of fools if you do not protect certain industries and jobs. Perot was right.

Being so stupid as allow your currency to be pegged and manipulated was just so stupid.

And that started as Gore and Clinton were paid for by China, continued through bush and continues now through Obama.

5. After the Bush and Reagan tax cuts revenues went up so there is no reason to blame tax cuts.

The middle class has been crushed by taxes and outsourcing, govt spending and inflation.

#48     Apr 9, 2013
  9. Piezoe very well thought out and presented post.

#49     Apr 10, 2013
  10. All of which seems to be OK with half of Americans... so long as they continue to get their "free" Obamaphone, food stamps, housing subsidy, utilities subsidy, education subsidy, healthcare subsidy, unemployment/disability check, etc...

:mad: :mad:

#50     Apr 10, 2013