we don't have too much time left to trade, another 25 years that is all

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by laptop, Jan 24, 2007.

1. asap

asap

who cares about global warming? as long as we have fancy 5L engine SUV's and lots air conditioning in our offices/homes, it is OK if the world falls apart in a couple of years. Notice that all of sudden GW has became a top priority in the political agenda...sure it can yield good votes so lets pump it a bit while we continue driving around with our SUV's. it is a hopeless hypocrisy.

#41     Jan 24, 2007
  2. bluud

bluud

Love your post!!!!!!!!

#42     Jan 24, 2007
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

I think too many people have incorrect impression about global warming. Only retard would deny it, there is so much evidence, so it is a fact.

What IS NOT a fact however is the cause of it.

Most people do not now that Earth was much warmer around 1200 AD that it is now. An example is Greenland which had cultivating lands (look at the name - green land). Than around middle ages, the earth started cooling again, now we are back into a warm cycle.

As far as I know there were no emissions around 1200AD.

No one can be certain for the reasons of warming. But does not make a great political and social topic?

Regards,
    redduke

#43     Jan 24, 2007
  4. Finally, someone with intelligence makes a post in this thread.

#44     Jan 24, 2007
  5. asap

asap

well it looks like thousands of scientists know better than that. it is an undeniable fact that the recent exponential growth in emissions pumped into the atmosphere by, amosgst other, millions of petrol based engines, industrial air pollution and massive electrical production based on non fossil fuel has changed the atmosphere chemical balance. So no matter what happened in the past which happened in its due course, now we facing an era in which, the changes are driven by us. And it doesn't look OK, at least from my perspective, that we are ruining the earth natural balance, so we can fulfill our hedonistic goals. Maybe mother nature will soon teach us a lesson.

#45     Jan 24, 2007
  6. Al Gore quoting Upton Sinclair : "You can't make somebody understand something if their salary depends upon them not understanding it. "

#46     Jan 24, 2007
  7. I think we have far less time than that. It's good to be mindful of other things in life beyond trading.

RoughTrader

#47     Jan 24, 2007
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

Not true. The scientists see the result (warming) and try to derive why.

If you look at any chart, after the fact, you can derive many reasons why there was a move up or down.

They can be right or wrong, but never to be taken for granted.

#48     Jan 24, 2007
  9. risky63

risky63

hey lappy....you might want to go troll this board with your thoughts....its just for you.http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=77
    i've got a barrett m-82 and a bunch of other toys in my safe just for the special day. they're realy just for fun and stress relief.

live life the way I do.....have as much fun as you can, enjoy your family and friends, and realize there is nothing you can do to stop man from destroying himself.

#49     Jan 24, 2007
  10. BVM88

BVM88

There is much truth in what you said. The weather did get colder after 1300
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age but Greenland did not get its name for the reasons you suggested:

The name Greenland (Grænland in old Norse and modern Icelandic, Grønland in modern Danish and Norwegian) has its roots in this colonization and is attributed to Erik the Red (the Inuit call it Kalaallit Nunaat, meaning "Land of the Kalaallit (Greenlanders)"). There are two written sources on the origin of the name, in the The Book of Icelanders (Íslendingabók), an historical work dealing with early Icelandic history from the 12th century, and in the medieval Icelandic saga, The Saga of Eric the Red (Eiriks saga rauða), which is about the Norse settlement in Greenland and the story of Eric the Red in particular. Both sources write: "He named the land Greenland, saying that people would be eager to go there if it had a good name."

"It should also be noted, however, that the southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer, and was likely even greener in Erik's time because of the Medieval Warm Period."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Greenland

However, unlike global warming today, there is some doubt that the Medieval Warming was global:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

Maybe some of you guys should actually view An Inconvenient Truth. It is interesting how the Co2 load in the atmosphere has (for whatever reason) reached levels never seen before (and I think they had data going back 650000 years).

The video can be found here: http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-6755547597995385256

I personally hope that the next recession is long and deep so this precious planet of ours has a chance to rest and recover from all the damage we have done to it. The last thing we need is 100 million Chinese taking up air travel.

#50     Jan 24, 2007