WE are the 95%!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by pcp198, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Placebo

Placebo

:p

#21     Oct 12, 2011
  2. sheda

sheda

People LOST money today- are YOU sure you Want to do this?
    People LOST today - THINK about that for a moment - LOST..

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?

#22     Oct 12, 2011
  3. emg

emg

Trading is a CAREER PROFESSIONAL that requires college degrees. If u are serious about becoming a trader, is it time to go back to school?

https://finance-jobs.theladders.com/job/jobboard?cr=2781624&nofx=12903635&pl=ind-F1

Hiring Company Name: Confidential
    Hiring Company Industry: Financial Services
    Number of Employees: 100 - 1,000 Employees
    Total Compensation: $100K+
    - Base Salary: $100K+
    Reports to: Hiring Manager
    Apply Now!

You will be redirected to TheLadders.com
    Job Description

Quantitative Analyst

New York City, NY

Will relocate the right candidate.

Looking for quantitative analysts who specialize in automated trading strategy development.

Qualifications:
    -Bachelor’s degree from a top university with a GPA of 3.5 or higher
    -Superb quantitative and programming (Java, C, C++, Perl, Python) skills

http://webconnect.sendouts.com/CN_F...397-5a37-4ede-bc34-8ac0a14e9b62&ApplyNewCan=0

Job Category: Finance
    Position Title: High Frequency FX Proprietary Trading
    Salary Range: OPEN
    New York, New York, USA
    Desired Skills:
    Description: The Role:

Reporting directly to the Head of FX Algo Development, this role involves development of leading edge solutions for FX proprietary algorithmic trading (alpha generation, execution processes, anonymous market making…)

In this role, the candidate will be exposed to a large spectrum of sophisticated algorithms developed by a tight group of experienced quantitative traders

Qualifications:

Strong Java and C# or C++ development skills

A focus on low latency / high frequency real time applications in multi threaded environment

Highly motivated to work directly with traders

Proactive and flexible approach to dealing with challenges

Engaged in creation of innovative processes

Strong analytical skills

Strong communication skills

Preferred Qualifications:

MS or PHD degree in Computer Science

3 plus years experience in working in a front office environment

Proven experience in algo-trading development

Experience in high-performance / low latency development

Proven ability to deliver front office systems

Experience in Forex business

http://www10.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_barcap04.asp?newms=jj&id=61694&newlang=1

Department Overview

Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC. With a distinctive business model, Barclays Capital provides large corporate, government and institutional clients with a full spectrum of solutions to their strategic advisory, financing and risk management needs. Barclays Capital has offices around the world, employs over 23,000 people and has the global reach, advisory services and distribution power to meet the needs of issuers and investors worldwide.

For further information about Barclays Capital, please visit our website www.barclayscapital.com.

It is the policy of Barclays Capital to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.

The Global Technology Infrastructure Services department provides the Engineered solutions for IT Production, including application infrastructure, network, platform and end user environments. Production Engineering supports multiple business groups with Barclays, delivering infrastructure based solutions to business needs. The High Frequency Infrastructure Engineering group is a team within Production Engineering.
    Main Function

This position is the team lead for the High Frequency Engineering group. The team lead will manage several highly skilled engineers, currently numbering four staff members, but targeted to grow to eight or more. The team lead will be responsible for globally setting the direction of High Frequency Engineering for the multiple business groups who trade with systematic or high frequency techniques across a variety of asset classes (Equities, Options, Futures, FX, Rates).

The High Frequency Engineering team is responsible to apply technologies and techniques to facilitate high-frequency/low-latency trading applications, primarily for Barclays Capital Equities division. Technologies can be taken from the larger Barclays Capital estate, but otherwise, application and business group specific solutions will be deployed.

The position will require deep expertise across multiple domains: application development, middleware, operating systems, platform/hardware engineering, network and storage. The team lead must be able to articulate and support specific technical solutions as well as support the technical decisions of the members of the team.

Working closely with other Infrastructure Engineers, application developers, and business users, the position will implement solutions to reduce latency and increase determinism for trading applications. Design trade-offs will be made to achieve these targets by optimizing risk, cost and support in the selection of techniques and technologies.
    Main Duties

· Interface with multiple business groups using low latency, high frequency, systematic techniques of trading and apply technology solutions to their business needs.

· Drive the architectural vision of the High Frequency Engineering team leveraging off the strength of the whole team’s expertise.

· Manage the administrative requirements for the team (reviews, budget, reporting, etc).

· Work closely with application development and business users to develop performance targets for latency, determinism and throughput.

· Work closely with vendors to understand candidate solutions available to achieve goals.

· Iterate quickly through candidate solutions; quickly eliminate solutions that are not viable.

· Profile application performance using standard tools and in house test systems.

· Optimize application interaction with hardware components (network, processor, memory) and operating system through tuning, alternate technologies/techniques and refactoring.

· Where appropriate, introduce solutions developed for high frequency to the wider application community within Barclays Capital.

· Specific expertise in a deep technical area to drive innovation, providing solutions in high frequency environments is often based on solutions that can be deployed quickly to meet business needs.

· Ability to relentlessly challenge oneself and peers to innovate while also making decisionsconfidently with limited data. Must not be a theorist, but a practitioner focused on delivery.
    Person Requirements
    Basic Qualifications:

5+ years of experience in financial markets and applications, including market data feeds and API’s, order routing protocols, and the complete front-to-back trading flow.
    Must have experience in software development with C/C++/Java and performance profiling tools and techniques.
    Must have experience with and understanding of operating system internals, especially Linux, with intimate knowledge kernel fundamentals (i.e. scheduling, threads, protocol stack). Must be comfortable to patch/modify kernel and other open source software to optimize behavior.
    Must have prior experience with processor architecture and micro-architecture (Intel/AMD) as well as supporting eco-system (QuickPath, PCIExpress, Hypertransport). Must be able to evaluate vendor platform solutions (Servers/Blades) to identify suitability to low latency environments.
    Must have prior experience with network technologies from low level (10-Gigabit Ethernet, Infiniband) to protocols (iWARP/RDMA, TCP/UDP)
    Must have prior experience working with various packet processing and hardware acceleration technologies (FPGA, NPU, GPU, ASIC).
    Must have prior experience with hardware description language skills (Verilog/VHDL) including simulation and timing analysis tools and techniques

Preferred Qualifications:

Experience with high frequency environments, such as Exchange co-location a plus.
    Experience with device drivers a plus.
    Must be comfortable to patch/modify kernel and other open source software to optimize behavior.
    Experience with acceleration techniques for computation or low latency a plus. These techniques include GPU, FPGA, and specialized processors.
    Ability to communicate vision and ideas effectively to peers.

There are tons of trading jobs in the house. Fail to get a degrees and trade in the house result to:

More than 90% of small traders lose. They just lose!!

Small Traders are crazy! They are just crazy!!!

#23     Oct 12, 2011
  4. I hope that position pays a nice bonus because if I knew how to do all that crap 100k/year wouldn't get me out of bed especially in NJ/NY.

#24     Oct 12, 2011
  5. N54_Fan

N54_Fan

So I have to ask why are you here if you are obviously not a trader? I am assuming you do not trade because you think small traders are crazy. How do you define small trader...under $1 million to trade? Also ALL BIG traders started as small traders. Keep thinking that YOU CANNOT DO IT and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy....because YOU NEVER WILL SUCCEED. BUT if you keep thinking I WILL do it and one day you have DONE IT.

Short story here...I have a small successful business (with no business back ground) and I have a CFP that has more letters (degrees) after his name than I care to know. In 2008 all his clients lost just as much as everyone else as the market tanked. I SWORE I would NEVER allow that to happen. When he told me that i should not manage my own retirement acct because "...Its been shown that the average person cannot do as well as a professional..." I told him "I am NOT the AVERAGE person." Recently in late 7-2011 I met with him and he said he wanted to manage my money again. I told him I was in 100% cash at the time....he laughed...2 weeks later I called him back and asked if he got his clients out of the market. He said no! I knew then that I could manage my money better than most any professional. I have done MUCH better than he has done and made money as the market dropped. I have no degree in finance or business.

#25     Oct 12, 2011
  6. Nah.. im one of 5%,

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwKYjZ_8EcE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwKYjZ_8EcE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

We are traders :p

#26     Oct 12, 2011
  7. Visaria

Visaria

8. Visaria

Visaria

emg does comes across as an asshole, but i strangely still like the guy (not on my growing ignore list). There is an element of truth in what he says, you know.

#28     Oct 13, 2011
  9. euclid

euclid

And yet BarCap loses. They just lose!!

http://www.trustnetoffshore.com/Fac...x?univ=DC&fundCode=KIFW1&pagetype=performance

#29     Oct 13, 2011
  10. Ash1972

Ash1972

To succeed at trading long term you need to cut losses short and let winners run, within a set of rules that has a clear edge. You need to do what is statistically correct whether or not it feels right. That is *entirely* about controlling your emotional response to events.

Trading requires only average intelligence but a phenomenal level of psychological control or EQ. It's about completely transcending the limbic system, the reptilian brain of instant gratification.

Your average finance degree will try to tell you that it's all about increasingly sophisticated formulae, only available to the highest GMAT scorers with the highest IQs. It's crap such as that that caused the 2008 meltdown and will continue to cause many more.. whilst REAL traders - graduates, high school drop outs or barely literate - use their real world edge to profit at the expense of these stuffed shirts.

#30     Oct 13, 2011