We Are The 1%!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well said.

#21     Oct 6, 2011
  2. pspr

pspr

Yeah! Haven't these kids seen "A Fist Full Of Dollars" to see how people lived just a hundred and fifty years ago?

#22     Oct 6, 2011
  3. Eight

Eight

They are SWINE: Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything

#23     Oct 6, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Power always seems to have Reason on its side, doesn't it? Unless of course they want to tax you, then, only then, is there something wrong with their argument.

#24     Oct 6, 2011
  5. Well, I don't think anyone likes being taxed. Without going to the batshit insane end of the spectrum (yes, roads are indeed necessary. yes, common defense is indeed necessary; and yes, a little wealth transfer to smooth out society is not a bad thing either), tax is a forced transfer at the point of a gun (indeed, the government's power to tax is based on its arms). No one likes their stuff being taken away by force, no?

That applies to the rich, to the poor, and everyone in the middle.

The problem is, these kids (and people in general, I suppose), have no problem donating other people's money.

#25     Oct 6, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

The force is not used, if you cooperate. If there were none who would ever enjoy the advantages that tax money (can) buy without paying their share, then it would not be necessary to have force as a back-up.

#26     Oct 6, 2011
  7. You see the irony here, right? Nothing is coercion is you just cooperate. There is no rape if you just cooperate. There is no murder if you just cooperate (and kill yourself). The whole point is tax is involuntary and enforced with the threat of actual force.

You know, everyone likes to say the rich don't pay taxes. It's true that the super ultra rich don't pay income tax (because there isn't any - they pay cap gains). But see, here's the insidious part - and let see if I can rephrase this in a fun way:

When they came for the billionaires, I said nothing - because I'm not a billionaire.

When they came for the 1MM/year guys, I said nothing - because I don't make 1MM/year.

When they came for the $125k/year guys, oh shit - that's me... but I'm not rich I tell ya - I can barely afford rent in NYC/LA/etc...

#27     Oct 6, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

That's what Hitler said.

#28     Oct 6, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

If they make $125k/year why would "they" come for your $125k/year? Whatever good reason you give is the good reason you might, in theory, be going for theirs now.

#29     Oct 6, 2011
  10. JamesL

JamesL

:D

#30     Oct 6, 2011