we all should become teachers!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by riskaddict, Aug 10, 2010.

1. wartrace

wartrace

You couldn't pay me enough to deal with those little bastards every day. I hate kids. It isn't that I want to see any harm come to them but I just hate being around them, they give me headaches and they smell bad.

#21     Aug 10, 2010
  2. That's what I was thinking, but being a teacher is a fantastic idea and pays extremely well.

Here's how it works out. A teacher retires with pay of about 65k/year after 30 years with a pension of about 50k a year forever. If you had to buy an annuity (or invest) to thrown off 50k a year "forever", you'd had to make an additional 50k a year for 30 years, so essentially a teachers effective salary is about 110k to 130k in "real-world money". Add in medical benefits, and they got themselves a much better deal than most realize.

They figured it out!

#22     Aug 10, 2010
  3. Anyway, this career is very victorious, if there's no teacher , we can't do anything :)

#23     Aug 10, 2010
  4. While teaching is not a get-rich-quick profession, starting salaries are in line with other graduate professions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, public teachers are actually paid about 11 percent more than the average professional worker. Teaching careers also offer opportunities for advancement and increased pay over time.

#24     Aug 11, 2010
  5. Important benefits, such as health insurance and pension plans, are becoming scarce commodities in many professions, but you can count on both as a teacher. Most teachers have their premiums fully paid by their school districts and their health, dental and vision benefits are among the best when compared with other industries. Teaching also offers additional benefits such as sick days and tuition reimbursement, so you'll find that teaching actually pays a lot more than you think.

#25     Aug 11, 2010
  6. If you've never experienced working in a tough school (most are now), trying to get 30 teenagers to listen, respect understand you, day after day, then you have absolutely no idea how demanding the job can be. It is physically and emotionally draining and you have to WANT to do it. If you're just in it because you think it's a cushy alternative to the 'real world' (nothing gets closer to the real world than dealing with dozens of children every day) then you're in for a serious reality check. You just will not survive if you're not tough enough. Full stop.

#26     Aug 11, 2010
  7. You are 100% correct it's a tough job, here in DE public school teachers should have to carry Tasers. I also have no problem with teachers making a better than average living (that statement makes me sound like the communist, who am I to say what they should make?) I think most taxpayers just want them to be accountable for their performance and actions in the classroom. If we got rid of half the administrators that contribute nothing to society that could cover some of the pension liabilities and rising health insurance costs. The concept of a pension seems like one of the examples of thinking as to to why this country is having some of the problems it is. Get something now and pay later. Why not just give teachers, cops, judges... a little more upfront and make them save for retirement like everyone else.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Main_Page

#27     Aug 11, 2010
  8. zdreg

zdreg

the poster never said just out of college teachers makes 75 to100k. he is talking about veteran teachers. teachers and most civil servants are not at level salary for the 1st five to 10 years. if you have seen "stuff" provide it.

the salary is ridiculously high for the short hours involved and the pension benefits received. a job which entails no responsibility for output should not be paid this kind of money.

#28     Aug 11, 2010
  9. ptrjon

ptrjon

Also, most schools pay for higher education. Once teachers get masters' degrees, they get raises. Also, 2 months off a year is a huge benefit.

I think the ideal job is being a community college professor- I may get there someday :-D

#29     Aug 11, 2010
  10. Yes community college, screw the dumbass college babes:D

#30     Aug 11, 2010