WB takes a bow. I coined the term "Global Warming Hoax" 5 years ago right here on ET.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wilburbear, Feb 13, 2013.

1. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...=133967&perpage=6&highlight=hoax&pagenumber=1

Mentioned on the floors of the U.S. House and Senate, and around the world - "Global Warming Hoax."

Started with this article in the Guardian in 2008 - "No ice at the North Pole in 5 years". Yes, 2008 +5 = 2013

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/aug/10/climatechange.arctic

Thought I, "It's a long way off, but 2013 still might arrive, anyway. This guy (Maslowski) could get away with this - after he gets away with scaring everybody - and gets a big pay increase for himself."

2. Wow. Lucky timing again.

After starting this thread, I checked the ET politics section to see if it posted. The post directly below mine was about global warming - he couldn't have seen what I just wrote.

He takes the opportunity to let you know he's so much better than you-

"2) I'm concerned for the future of this planet and it's life. I'm a nature boy tree hugger and it pains me to think of what's in store. My bad for being sensitive and empathetic I guess. Something some people don't have to worry about, and there is probably especially little of on a trading website. I wasn't always this way. I guess it comes from age and being a parent."

Well, off I go now. On to Drudge, and other media outlets.

Hoping again to get worldwide coverage - for this scheming, deceitful prediction.

3. [​IMG]

4. As the northern summer draws to a close, two milestones have been reached in the Arctic Ocean — record-low sea ice extent, and an even more dramatic new low in Arctic sea ice volume. This extreme melting offers dramatic evidence, many scientists say, that the region’s sea ice has passed a tipping point and that sometime in the next decade or two the North Pole will be largely ice-free in summer.

NASA and U.S. ice experts announced earlier this week that the extent of Arctic sea ice has dropped to 4.1 million square kilometers (1.58 million square miles) — breaking the previous record set in 2007 — and will likely continue to fall even farther until mid-September. As the summer melt season ends, the Arctic Ocean will be covered with 45 percent less ice than the average from 1979 to 2000.

On August 26, Arctic sea ice reached a new record-low summer extent.
    Even more striking is the precipitous decline in the volume of ice in the Arctic Ocean. An analysis conducted by the University of Washington’s Pan Arctic Ice Ocean Model Assimilation System (PIOMAS) estimates that sea ice volumes fell in late August to roughly 3,500 cubic kilometers — a 72-percent drop from the 1979-2010 mean.

Peter Wadhams, who heads the Polar Ocean Physics Group at the University of Cambridge and who has been measuring Arctic Ocean ice thickness from British Navy submarines, says that earlier calculations about Arctic sea ice loss have grossly underestimated how rapidly the ice is disappearing. He believes that the Arctic is likely to become ice-free before 2020 and possibly as early as 2015 or 2016 — decades ahead of projections made just a few years ago.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/tipping_point_arctic_heads_to_ice_free_summers/2567/

5. Mercor

Mercor

This will help the long term survival of Mankind.

6. September 21, 2012 |

Opinions differ substantially, even among climate scientists.

At one end of the spectrum are those who see the ice lasting in summer for another 20 or 30 years, or perhaps even a bit longer.

For example, Lars-Otto Reierson, who leads the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme told Reuters that most models predict the summer ice disappearing by 2030 or 2040.

Similarly, a paper published this year in Geophysical Research Letters by multiple scientists, including several from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, found that an ice-free summer in the Arctic in the “next few decades” was a “distinct possibility.”

A recent assessment from Muyin Wang at the University of Washington and James Overland at the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, using the most up to date Arctic ice models and data, projected a nearly ice free Arctic around 2030.

And Cecilia Bitz, a professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington at part of the Polar Science Center sees a 50/50 chance that the Arctic will be ice free in summer in the next few decades.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who think the melt could happen much sooner. Peter Wadhams, who leads the Polar Ocean Physics Group at the University of Cambridge, has predicted since 2008 that the Arctic ice could be gone in summer by 2015. He now believes there’s a chance that it could happen even sooner.

Similarly, Mark Drinkwater, the European Space Agency’s senior advisor on polar regions and a mission scientist for the CryoStat satellite that measures arctic ice, believes that the Arctic could be ice free in September by the end of this decade.

When will the ice melt? While the range of possibilities is wide today, it’s shrunk dramatically from just a few years ago, when most climate scientists expected the ice to survive through the 21st century. Now the question is whether it will be gone in decades – or in mere years.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/09/21/arctic-sea-ice-what-why-and-what-next/

7. pspr

pspr

Wow! That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. :D

8. No it won't. Without the Arctic ice reflecting the sunlight the world will heat up even faster. As the permafrost and methyl hydrates thaw huge quantities of methane will release. Methane is a very strong greenhouse gas so the warming will accelerate.

In addition the Arctic acts as a mover of the jet stream and weather systems. Without it blocking patterns or meanders in the jet stream can allow weather events to stay in place for longer periods which can result in extended periods of drought, precip, heat and cold. This blocking pattern is what caused the strange movement of hurricane Sandy and may have contributed to drought in the midwest this past year. These are just two examples of what the future costs from GW will be. Future events will only get worse and more numerous.

9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Why don't you post a chart of the Antarctic sea ice which is increasing.

Isn't it time that you simply admit that the ice changes at the poles simply are correlated with changes with the axial tilt of the earth that goes in cycles.

10. "Despite its lack of scientific support, Goddard's post has garnered attention around the Web. In a Forbes.com column about the record high Antarctic sea ice, skeptic James Taylor writes, "Please, nobody tell the mainstream media or they might have to retract some stories and admit they are misrepresenting scientific data."

But if anyone had asked an actual scientist, they would have learned that a good year for sea ice in the Antarctic in no way nullifies the precipitous drop in Arctic sea-ice levels year after year — or the mounds of other evidence indicating global warming is really happening.

"Antarctic sea ice hasn't seen these big reductions we've seen in the Arctic. This is not a surprise to us," said climate scientist Mark Serreze, director of the NSIDC. "Some of the skeptics say 'Well, everything is OK because the big changes in the Arctic are essentially balanced by what's happening in the Antarctic.' This is simply not true." [Former Global Warming Skeptic Makes a 'Total Turnaround']

Projections made from climate models all predict that global warming should impact Arctic sea ice first and most intensely, Serreze said. "We have known for many years that as the Earth started to warm up, the effects would be seen first in the Arctic and not the Antarctic. The physical geography of the two hemispheres is very different. Largely as a result of that, they behave very differently."

The Arctic, an ocean surrounded by land, responds much more directly to changes in air and sea-surface temperatures than Antarctica, Serreze explained. The climate of Antarctica, land surrounded by ocean, is governed much more by wind and ocean currents. Some studies indicate climate change has strengthened westerly winds in the Southern Hemisphere, and because wind has a cooling effect, scientists say this partly accounts for the marginal increase in sea ice levels that have been observed in the Antarctic in recent decades.

"Another reason why the sea-ice extent in the Antarctic is remaining fairly high is, interestingly, the ozone hole," Serreze told Life's Little Mysteries. This hole was carved out over time by chlorofluorocarbons, toxic chemicals formerly that were used in air conditioners and solvents before being banned. "The ozone hole affects the circulation of the atmosphere down there. Because of the ozone hole, the stratosphere above Antarctica is quite cold. Ozone in the stratosphere absorbs UV light, and less absorption [by] ozone makes the stratosphere really cold. This cold air propagates down to the surface by influencing the atmospheric circulation in the Antarctic, and that keeps the sea ice extensive."

But these effects are very small, and Antarctic sea-ice levels have increased only marginally. In the coming decades, climate models suggest rising global temperatures will overwhelm the other influences and cause Antarctic sea ice to scale back, too.

The extent of Arctic sea ice at its summertime low point has dropped 40 percent in the past three decades. The idea that a tiny Antarctic ice expansion makes up for this — that heat is merely shifting from the the Southern Hemisphere to the Northern and therefore global warming must not be happening — is "just nonsense," Serreze said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...ntarctic-ice-hits-record.-Is-warming-debunked

#10     Feb 13, 2013