Watching Your Weight? Reach For The Almonds!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Sep 22, 2019.

1. https://www.drweil.com/blog/health-...&utm_source=Email&utm_term=Dr Weils Daily Tip

You’ve heard it dozens of times – nuts are good for you, but don’t eat too many because they are full of fat and calories. However, research indicates that the reality is somewhat more complex – and that’s good news for nut-lovers who are watching their weight. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed that while a handful (about 22 kernels) of almonds contains 170 calories, only 129 calories are actually absorbed by the body. The rest are passed without absorption, because the protein and fat in them are relatively hard to digest. Even better news – after one daily handful of almonds, three percent of the calories you consume for the next 24 hours are rendered indigestible. That means if you eat 2,000 calories in a day, the almonds you ate in the morning will remove about 60 calories from that total. The effect probably applies to other kinds of nuts, although only almonds have been rigorously studied. So, enjoy your nuts on a daily basis- their monounsaturated fat content appears to lower cardiovascular risk. Opt for the least processed versions possible from raw to lightly toasted and salted yourself. While almond flour is becoming popular, do not confuse the benefits of whole almonds with a processed flour. Aim to consume your nuts in their natural state as often as possible.

2. Although I do roast my almonds myself, I don't add salt to them. Eating 15 ~ 20 almonds works good as a snack. But you have to eat them slowly, one by one, otherwise it is easy to overeat on them. The feeling of satiety is somewhat delayed, adding to the risk of overeating.

3. I agree, nuts don't need salt to taste good. I mostly eat walnuts every day in their natural state, but have almond butter daily at breakfast. And, yeah, you don't want to have too much, so it doesn't pay to get your head stuck in the jar.