watcher software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by shneed, Feb 13, 2002.

1. shneed

shneed

Has anyone trader through Watcher, if yes what are your thoughts and experiences?

thanks,
    shneed

2. tom_p

tom_p

shneed, I traded with WatcherPlus till a few months ago - I am now using Mach II, an in-house Watcher clone developed for Broadway Trading. WatcherPlus is an ideal tool for the Nasdaq scalper with its lightning fast executions. As with all s/w, there is a learning curve. It's strictly hotkey oriented, so stay away if you're a point-and-clicker. I am not a keyboard virtuoso - my strength lies in interpretation - yet I still appreciated the power of Watcher. Occasional glitches like "yellow orders" - orders which temporarily cannot be cancelled and whose status is unknown. One useful feature is FYI's - details of MM's and ECN's trading with Island for your particular stocks.

3. Tom-Do you know if Mach II was developed by the Watcher people for Broadway or did Broadway develop it themselves?

I heard Watcher is in trouble...the site seems to be dead and they are pulling their software from affiliates etc.

4. tom_p

tom_p

DATTrader, Mach II was developed for Broadway by Strategic Trading Services based in Florida (not Watcher Technologies). Interesting what you say about Watcher - as a remote trader, I don't get to hear all the gossip.

5. hans130

hans130

Tom,

How is the Watcher compared to the Mach, as far as speed, reliability, features, executions, ecn access?

I used to trade on the watcher, but now moved on to Direx Platinum. Both very fast, but Platinum has many more features and very low commission schedule.

Thanks
    Hans

6. The big difference to me was that the Mach has charting. Last I checked, Watcherplus had an attempt at a tick chart, but I found it pretty useless. The Mach is a little more user friendly, with customizeable colors and more options.

The Watcher, I believe, used to be available to Broadway clients only, but now several firms have license to Watcher.

7. tom_p

tom_p

Adding to PennieWise's comments, as a remote trader I am very satisfied with the Mach II VPN internet connection which has proved to be both stable and speedy (not to mention secure).
    From what you and DATTrader have posted in the past, I would imagine that Mach II is not dissimilar to Direx Platinum. I wish I could say the same for the commission structure :mad:

8. shneed

shneed

tom p,
    Thanks a lot for your response. Do you know if the hot keys on watcher are programmable onto a separate keyboard sold through some vendors, I know that you have to press the "shift" or "CTRL" key to place trades, that's too slow in my opinion, if you can program a separate keyboard for those keys, it would be great. Also I am trading now through Interactive Brokers, if you know anything about them, how do you think they compare to Watcher, which do you consider better. The commissions are not an issue, since I would be paying the same on both systems.

Thanks again,
    shneed

9. hans130

hans130

Tom

What is your current commission structure with the Mach II? I used to trade with broadway with the watcher, wondering if that has changed.

Thanks
    Hans

10. tom_p

tom_p

Do you know if the hot keys on watcher are programmable onto a separate keyboard sold through some vendors

Can't help you there - if Watcher Technologies is unavailable, maybe one of the special keyboard manufacturers can provide assistance.

Also I am trading now through Interactive Brokers, if you know anything about them, how do you think they compare to Watcher, which do you consider better.

Sorry, but I've never traded with IB.

BTW, have you heard anything about Watcher vis-a-vis their unaccessable (for now) website, rumors etc.?

#10     Feb 13, 2002