Watch SPX , S&P 500 at 12:25est

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Walther, Jul 30, 2003.

1. damir00

damir00 Guest

apologies for the misunderstanding. so the window is only 20 minutes forward from the time you post, it doesn't also extend backwards? that would make a difference.

have you tested this against picking a random time? like...what if we started looking for a divergence...right now? what are the odds we'd see one within 20 minutes?

(i don't know, i'm asking)

#21     Jul 30, 2003
  2. gms

gms

This is the same essence as seeing identifyable formations in tea leaves. James Randi would have a field day with this: If something has to be interpreted accurately after the fact, it doesn't hold much predictive value, sorry.

Clear as hindsight. Oh! it is hindsight.

That's not accurate. It would be more like, "At next year's British Open, at [predicted date & time], a horse will take some sort of action." Then, after the race, the next post reads, "Just to make it clear, Joe Flapjack finished the 16th hole about 5 minutes after the predicted time."

I thought the British Open was a horse race. Golf is Scottish.

#22     Jul 30, 2003
  3. vega

vega

The British Open in a golf tournament, not a horse race.:p

Vega:D

#23     Jul 30, 2003
  4. No apology needed,
    I use 10-20 min window forward, but divergence can be forming from previous spot . look at today 2min chart of SPX(S&P500) around 12:20 est. You will see that divergence was forming right then and completed 15 min later. It basically depends on you how long do you want to spend. In lunch time it might take longer, if I have a Trading Time 10:00 I will give it 10 min max. By that time I am using recent day data so I am able to pinpoint it better .
    Never tested it I was told that it cannot be done cheaply and there was no reason to believe that random time can ever be profitable.
    Walter

#24     Jul 30, 2003
    #25     Jul 30, 2003
  6. Nordic

Nordic

The fairways resemble a horse track.

#26     Jul 30, 2003
  7. gms

gms

#27     Jul 30, 2003
  8. damir00

damir00 Guest

you were told wrong, tons of intraday historical data available, all it takes is minimal programming skills. you could probably even do it in excel. i routinely test my strategies against several years worth of 1 minute bars on $spx, $ndx and $indu.

re: randomness, it is a vastly underrated concept. -g-

#28     Jul 30, 2003
    #29     Jul 31, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You continue to "explain" it as though the people to whom you're explaining it are stupid. The problem is that what you're trying to explain is nonsense.

#30     Jul 31, 2003