"Watch out for the Quants"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Not really.

The "quants" never sell into a drop like that (except of course for SocGen). They only buy en masse when the market appears "cheap". If for some reason that strategy fails, they just blame the losses on a "bad" market environment.

After all, it's not their money.

#11     Feb 7, 2008
  2. When there in trouble they call the fed. What a racket

#12     Feb 7, 2008

3. More days like these please. More like every day.

#13     Feb 7, 2008
  4. Coming from stock777, I believe the code would be....

code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF (McDonald's customer orders fries = Ask to supersize) THEN
    GO LONG Happy Meal
    ENDIF
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14     Feb 7, 2008
  5. I can't believe that the credit suisse guy would say that, but I guess he did.

Are the quants running trading? Yes.

Can you compete with them? Yes if you are careful.

My assumption based on my experience in the business is that the majority of the "quants" are trend followers. They don't care if we go up or down. That's why the trends intraday can be so strong. Were the quants buying when we opened down the day after MLK day? My guess is no, if they were doing anything it was selling. However, then you had some real buyers or maybe our PPT come in and defend the bottom and when it was clear we could trend up for the day that was ALL the bots needed to start buying.

I have nothing against quants per se. However, they are totally running your average investor out of the market. And any of us that trade frequently (discretionary such as myself) should hope that a bunch of them get their butts kicked at some point because they are driving this market.

I am not bitter - the market has been okay for me. However, in the long run if the bots keep this daily 200 to 400 or more point swing going it will kill trading for many many people. And most of us need that other side to make money trading day in and day out.

Just my two cents on something I think about constantly.

Good trading to all.

#15     Feb 7, 2008
  6. LOL !!!! I am working the same code for FDAX....:D :D :D ...of course not as near as the same volume as Jerome with SocGen...:D :D :D

#16     Feb 8, 2008
  7. No FED. If you are in trouble - double...:D

#17     Feb 8, 2008