Watch Me Win the September Contest

Discussion in 'Forex' started by pipscooper, Aug 27, 2005.

pipscooper's ending percent change will be:

Poll closed Sep 29, 2005.
  1. Above 500%

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. 400% to 500%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 300% to 400%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 200% to 300%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 100% to 200%

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. 0% to 100%

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. -100% to 0%

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  8. Less than -100%

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. mahras2

mahras2

Pipscooter>Very interesting method. Hats off to you from another automated FX trader ;).

#31     Oct 6, 2005
  2. I started at 10 and then jumped to 25, and stayed at that level to the end. The jump to 25 was a bit of a stretch but the system was in the zone early on when I did it so I let it go on a short leash and it worked out ok. My beginning balance was just over 8.5K just so you have a frame of reference. There were a couple of days where I dropped to 1-2 units because I was having technical difficulties, and some days I didn't trade at all, but losses never forced me to drop down on size. I accepted up to 25% average max account drawdown for the contest and would have been forced to size down with a 35% drawdown at my most leveraged point. For most of the contest my max accepted risk was up to 15% average max drawdown with a 25% cutoff point (where I would need to stop trading and size down), which was never reached. As I posted earlier, actual max drawdown did reach 11% at one point on an intraday basis. I never did any fancy stuff with pyramiding or martingale / anti-martingale bet sizing after the initial size up. If I were to do the contest again I would probably start with a $500 account and substantially up my leverage for the first two weeks.

#32     Oct 7, 2005
  3. Thanks! Are you entered in the October contest? Ever since the last MT4 upgrade I've had technical problems executing expert advisors (err #146). This is a MT4 bug, not necessarily IBFX's fault. I'm trying to work around it but it is going to take some doing.

http://www.metaquotes.net/forum/740/
    http://www.metaquotes.net/forum/742/

Did you dump IBFX after that Labor Day spike or do you still have account(s) there? The IBFX quote feed was screwing up today with EUR/USD spread > 2 pips at times. I hope they get that fixed soon. I understand they are bringing on a couple of new banks so the integration is showing some growing pains. I'm laying low for a few days to see how it works out. Too bad the kinks haven't been worked out before NFP but I still have plenty of programming projects to keep me busy.

#33     Oct 7, 2005
  4. Nice trading, Pipscooper !

How many pips did you make during that month and what
    was the profit factor measured in pips ?

#34     Oct 7, 2005
  5. jason_l

jason_l

I've got to admit, it took some serious balls to start this thread the way you did, and then stepping up and winning like that is impressive. A nice change from the usual pattern I see :)
    congrats.

#35     Oct 7, 2005
  6. emsjoflo

emsjoflo

I look forward to learning more about your systems and methodology for developing them.
    I won two IBFX contests in a row but since then I've done nothing but lose money.
    Perhaps my experts aren't optimized to recent price action. Or maybe they weren't very good to begin with.

I guess I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a consistent moneymaking mechanical system -- an expert that doesn't need to be tweaked every month or year.

Also, I'm wondering if you rely on backtesting to develop your models

#36     Oct 9, 2005
  7. mahras2

mahras2

Welcome. Nope havent joined the october contest. Currently focusing on running my accounts as I have stepped up the risk. I have already dumped IBFX after that bad data problem (and subsequent problems made me feel rather smug about that move). I use FXDD now to trade. I am planning on joining one of the contests with small capital just to play around.

Do your models trade during NFP or other big fundamental releases? I do not trade them as I find that trading them on a systematic basis brings in an incredible amount of risk almost making it a gamble.

Good luck in october.

#37     Oct 9, 2005
  8. waihuimi

waihuimi

Disagree. Its platform may not look as fancy as some other platforms, but I like the fixed spread. Execution is fair. It is also very easy to use.

#38     Sep 7, 2007
  9. You dredged up a 2 year old thread to respond? With one post, I assume you are spamming???

#39     Sep 7, 2007
  10. selleur

selleur

They offer 3 versions of the platform: java, desktop (also on java technology) and HTML. My experience has been that java/desktop is much more stable than HTML. Although HTML does not require any installations, so it has its benefits too.

#40     Sep 10, 2007