Wash sales

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by invortex, Dec 9, 2017.

1. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

They’re a couple good ones around, I’ll chime in if you want to start a thread about it.

#11     Dec 9, 2017
  2. ET180

ET180

Here's what you do. Sell SOXL now to take the loss this year. At the same time, buy a 3x larger position in SOXX. Option 2, sell your SOXL to take a loss this year. At the same time, short some deep in the money puts on SOXL that won't expire until at least 31 days (or 2 - 3 months just to be safe) from now. Check with your tax advisor regarding option 2 and let me know what he thinks. So far, IB doesn't think that it violates any wash sale rules in my case.

#12     Dec 10, 2017
  3. invortex

invortex

If I hold on to the SOXL, my loss would carry over to next year?

#13     Dec 10, 2017
  4. invortex

invortex

I did find a thread about taxation and CPA's. None were in NYC if that is relevant?

#14     Dec 10, 2017
  5. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

I’m thousands of miles away from NYC,
    I was referring to firms in general, both nationally and international.

#15     Dec 10, 2017
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

My accountants were very clear that the 31 days to won't avoid a wash sale. Other research indicates that the ditm will qualify as substantially similar.

#16     Dec 10, 2017
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Getting flat for 31 days does not technically avoid the wash sale, but if you do it across a year boundary (i.e., December to January), then you can effectively ignore the wash sale for tax calculations.

#17     Dec 10, 2017
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Can you elaborate?

#18     Dec 10, 2017
  9. spindr0

spindr0

If you take the loss on the position now, you will have to wait 31 days before re- opening it. otherwise, the loss will not be deductible this on this year's taxes. With equities, there is no prohibition against taking a similar position in a different equity. I don't know if this applies to ETFs which may have similar component positions. Is this substantially identical? Anyone?

#19     Dec 10, 2017
  10. spindr0

spindr0

One calls a tax trading expert to get professional advice on a problematic filing issue but you can screen a bad one out who gives a wrong answers? Most investors/traders don't have a clue about the depths of wash sale rules and if the guy answers a few gimmees over the phone, that does not mean he'll provide the correct solution to your problem. AFAIC, a recommendation from a fellow trader or trusted advisor (lawyer, accountant) is the best way to go.

#20     Dec 10, 2017