Was there any news that sparked the sell-off in Crude ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by fluttrader, May 15, 2008.

1. Yes, the Senate is voting against the "Enron" loophole, that permits players from maxing out their positions under the CFTC on the NYMEX, and then heading over to the ICE to buy even more contracts.

The ICE has no position limits.

The Congress wants the CFTC to limit the players max positions across ALL exchanges, primary OR secondary ( ICE ).

#11     May 15, 2008
  2. As long as they call it the "Enron loophole" it will have a negative connotation and will probably get closed down. They should re-introduce it as the "Electronic Market Freedom Act of 2008" and maybe they can re-open the loophole later on (kinda like they did with the "Patriot" Act).

Seriously, I have no problems with position limits across all exchanges but this talk about raising the margin limits to 100% is just insanity and I hope that more rational voices prevail on that issue.

#12     May 15, 2008
  3. :p

Great, now I can buy gasoline at Walmart or $3.63 a gallon instead of paying $3.68!!! HURRAY for the sell off!!!!!!!!!

#13     May 15, 2008
  4. I am heading to Chicago to pick it up

#14     May 15, 2008
  5. It has nothing to do with raising margin limits. It is about creating uniformity of position limits across ALL exchanges, including those that are electronic like ICE

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=283461

Introduced last Fall.
    Nothing new.

#15     May 15, 2008
  6. This thing was way overbot, and then you had long covering.

there was news however. OPEC stated that they see a drop in demand with the higher prices. Don't know if this had anything to do with it cause I'm not a fundamental guy,but there was news.

#16     May 15, 2008
  7. Crude retracing nicely. Almost green for me CL June.

#17     May 15, 2008
  8. I know. The margin increases are in the proposed energy bill yet to get voted on, not the Enron loophole. I was making a comment on the climate in D.C... particularly trying to blame high crude and gasoline prices on traders.

#18     May 15, 2008
  9. eagle

eagle

Guilty driver. :D

#19     May 15, 2008
  10. They just rpped the guts out of following oil shorts there. BRUTAL

#20     May 15, 2008