Was recently commiserating about AMZN...

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by Overnight, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

If we wee lads and lasses had just invested in 1,000 shares in the thing 20 years ago?

Assuming 7 bux per share? $7,000 investment?
    whaleart1.png

Worth 1.7 million bux now.

Magnetic WHALE art!

Anyone remember these?

2. dozu888

dozu888

see my 'AI' thread... this revolution is just in the 2nd inning... get in now, still chance to get rich!

trading is waste of time.

3. Overnight

Overnight

I posted this to the wrong section when dozu hooks it into his "AI thread". Sorry about that. This thread has nothing to do with "trading", it was just about a stock. Apologies to the stock trading community for my failure to not accommodate.

4. S2007S

S2007S

Just so you know amazon was on the verge of disappearing just like the other dot coms back in the day. They were on the brink of bankruptcy so I dont think too many people at that time would have thrown $7000 into that stock.

Overnight likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Magnetic whale art was the key. But I hear your point. So if you threw 7000 bux at 10 companies back then, you spent 70 grand. If you threw 7000 bux at 100 companies, you spent 700,000 bux.

One of them stuck, and became 1.7 million.

6. dozu888

dozu888

so you mean nasdaq 100.... which is what i been saying all along.. qqq is the only game in town.

7. Bum

Bum

If I could give advice to someone in their teens or 20s, I'd suggest they invest $100 (or affordable amount) into every popular IPO & hold for long-term.
    Some/many will be bust but the few big winners in 30-40 years could be so large the losers won't matter.
    This would be "take-a-chance" money, not retirement planning money.

8. Overnight

Overnight

Aramco is the next best thing, from what I have seen?

9. tango29

tango29

I was going to start a thread in trading asking about your biggest loser that was a winner. I'll give my example.
    Back after the tech wreck in early 2000's I had plenty of cash sitting around and took a flyer on 20,000 shares of AMZN pretty close to the low. The plan was to get out on some if it doubled and just hold the rest if it didn't go bust. I had read a story about Jeff Bezos and thought he could pull something off. I ended up holding past double and taking off 5000 shares to cover my entry cost including taxes on the trade. I don't remember the price exactly, but somewhere in the 30's I think. Well in 2011 we started with the oldest hitting college to be followed by 2 others over the next few years. I had sat through a lot of yoyo times with AMZN and thought it had run pretty far, and at the same time thought it might keep running. I ended up talking myself into getting out of the last 15000 around 230 in late 2011 or 2012, Fantastic profit, but holy shi-- did I fu-- up not holding onto at least some of it! I made great money, but missed a ton more.

10. Overnight

Overnight

Teehee.

#10     Dec 11, 2019