Was Bush's surprise visit for political reasons, or in support of the troops...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ARogueTrader, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THU NOV 27, 2003 17:00:01 ET XXXXX

HOW IT ALL WENT DOWN: DETAILED REPORT OF BUSH'S SECRET TRIP

**Exclusive**

Trip of the President to Baghdad
    Pool Reporter Mike Allen's [WASH POST] Private Notes
    Nov. 26 and 27 (Thanksgiving Day), 2003

The President left Waco secretly Wednesday at 8:25 p.m. Eastern (7:25 p.m. Texan) with a small pool, stopped at Andrews to pick up a few staff and a few more poolers, change planes and then head to Baghad. Both flights were what we think of as the normal Air Force One, Boeing 747 with the normal marking. The President landed in darkness at Baghdad International Airport at 9:31 a.m. Washington time (5:32 p.m. local) on Thursday, Nov. 27, Thanksgiving Day. He took off at 12:03 p.m. Eastern time, so was in Baghdad roughly 2.5 hours.

The staff aimed to keep the trip secret until after he had taken off from Baghdad ? no filing was permitted from the site, by the pool or by locals. The President landed with barely a sliver of a moon. He was already in a white Land Rover or Land Cruiser by the time the pool reached the Tarmac. The staff said the motorcade was 12 vehicles plus a military ambulance. Short motorcade of less than five minutes through a blacked out, rutty part of the airport, which looks like a military base. Passed Humvees, dog teams. The President pulled up to the back of the Bob Hope Dining Facility, a huge soft-sided, white building that looks like the most expensive and sturdy type of party tent. The soldiers, we were told about 60

The programs at each place said "Happy Harvest Thanksgiving 2003 Baghdad, Iraq." On the front were the logos of the First Armored Division ("Old Ironsides") and the logo of the Combined Joint Task Force Operation Iraqi Freedom. Menu was boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, roast turkey and cranberry sauce, baked ham, prime rib of roast, glazed Cornish hen, sweet potatoes, buttered mash potatoes, savory bread dressing and corn bread dressing, turkey gravy, buttered corn on the cob, seasoned green beans; pumpkin, sweet potato, pecan, apple and cherry pie; assorted candies and nuts; assorted salads; assorted breads and rolls; sparkling grape wine; eggnog and assorted beverages. On the table were non-alcoholic malt brew and sparking grape juice.

Soldiers were at long tables with paper tablecloths showing harvest scenes, with soft drink with Arabic writing. The high-ceilinged hall was hung with American flags and the tables had paper, pop-out turkeys.

The event had been set up with Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, and Paul Bremer, the chief civilian administrator. When the President arrived, the soldiers were still thinking those would be the speakers. General Sanchez said, "God bless you for all of your sacrifices," and hurriedly introduced Ambassador Bremer. Bremer said he had Thanksgiving greetings from the President. But then Bremer, hamming it up, looked toward stage left and said, "Let's see if we've got anyone more senior here." Then the President came out and the room erupted even before he reached the stage, with soldiers standing on chairs, standing on tables to bark, hoot, yell and "Hoo-ah!" their approval.

2. P. Niss

P. Niss

You know something, Rogue... I've had quite enough of your turning this forum into a bash Bush brigade. Every other thread is anti-Bush this, anti-Bush that.

Your welcome has been overstayed. Typical whiny, lying liberal Democrat.

3. Whatever the reason for his trip, I must say that it was awesome. I woke up and read the headline and my first reaction was, "Wow! How in the hell did he keep this one so quiet?"

I bet those soldiers were really honored to have their commander-in-chief serving them their Thanksgiving food, regardless of what all the political analysts think Bush's ultimate motive was for the trip.

4. If we see film clips of this event at the Republican National Convention and in advertising promoting Bush for re-election, we still won't know what the real motive was behind the trip.....but there is no doubt that it will be helpful to his campaign.

The prescription drug bill, which has angered the right side of the conservative party for being too liberal is also likely a vote generator.

What is somewhat interesting, and perhaps may be a reason behind some of the policy decision making, is that despite the improvement in the economy as reported in eco data, etc. is that the polls are not jumping in Bush's favor with this good news.

It is a long way to next November.

Whoever is elected in November, they are going to have one hell of a budget deficit to deal with for the next 4 or more years.

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well, I don't know if this message board is any indicator but what I've personally started to see is that all the anti-Bush talk is starting to hurt democrats and liberals. People can only take so much trash talk before they start to turn on even their own party. I've noticed on this board, where we have over 20,000 members, that the same 5 guys continue to post all this liberal anti-Bush rhetoric and pasting links to very liberal publications and trying to start threads about it, only to see the threads die away with no interest. This is a very telling sign. People have had enough. The liberals on this message board are no longer getting middle of the road people to read their posts and even to respond to them anymore. This is not a good sign for the democratic party.

This upcoming election is going to be very ugly but I think if the democrats have to rely on hate speech and mud slinging, they don't have a prayer. Middle america will not stand for that. I know New York and California and Massachusetts may enjoy it, but there are 47 other states that will have no part of this.

On a side note, I was very proud that our President became the first ever President to visit Iraq. That took guts. He had to know that flying that plane into the most dangerous airport on the planet with a country of renegades out to kill him was a very dangerous move. And they flew into the airport with no landing lights on to avoid detection. I would love to have seen Bill Clinton do that.

And more importantly, did you see the reaction he got from the soldiers? To all the liberals on here that say our soldiers are mad at him and don't respect him, I think they got a rude awakening when they saw the reception our Commander in Chief got over there. It's called respect.

Hats off to Bush, that was one of the most respectable things I have seen any President, republican or democrat, ever do.

6. What words in the post could possibly be construed as bashing Bush? Did I miss something? Looked like a straight news story to me.

:confused:

Peace,
    :)RS

7. People see what they want to see, don't they.

Who really knows what Bush's agenda is or was?

All we have is the data provided to us, and our attempt to understand the motives.

I fail to understand how anyone can accept any president or politician without questioning their motives. People still think Reagan was without sin so I guess Alzheimer's spreads from worshiped to worshiper.

This loyalty to party either liberal or democrat without application of critical thinking is absolutely Neanderthal in its scope and depth.

If were to say, "Is it possible that Bush did so and so with a motive for political gain" why not answer truthfully, which is "I don't know, it is possible, but I choose to trust him because I like him and his agenda."

You would think after all we have seen in the past 50 years people would come to a natural level of distrust and suspicion on these issues concerning politics and politicians.

It is also entirely possible (and I think likely) that Bush had mixed motives, both genuinely good and wanting to support our troops, and at the same time knowing it was an opportunity to gain political favor. Killing two birds with one stone is better than sex for most politicians (excluding Clinton of course).

Why is it so hard to understand that is what politicians do?

p.s. Isn't is also odd that 2 people took the time to respond to the poll, yet only one respondant to the poll at this time thinks Bush's surprise visit was motiviated strictly by intentions to support the troops.

8. He started the poll/thread. Accusing/suggesting that Bush went to Iraq for re-election PR equates to bashing

9. I'm a staunch conservative and I don't like Bush - he spends money like a Democrat!

There isn't one appropriations bill that has crossed his desk he didn't sign.

Democrats tax & spend, Republicans borrow & spend.

10. Who's having trouble understanding it dude?

You're one of the few people I know that still doesn't seem to grasp that at this level of politics it's ALL political. You keep starting these threads questioning "the motives" of your (precious) elected officials. You judge them on standards of "honesty" and "integrity" and other such old-fashioned BS. Lol.

It's about getting in power and staying in power jack. And every single politician plays the same game, regardless of how "pure" their intentions when they first got into politics.

You make out like you're aware of all this, and then yet you still have this inexplicable need to start up these threads, like you've just uncovered some mass conspiracy.
    I mean, big deal, so he went to Iraq because it would be good for politics, and also no doubt a morale boost to the troops, which, theoretically, would help with the effort in Iraq, which in turn makes good for political standing. Wow, what a revelation!
    Geez, how dare he!

Lol.

#10     Nov 28, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.