Was anyone here trading in the late 90s?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NewYearTrader, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Sorry, I won't be in my late '90's for another 30 years. But TWS and EasySignal haven't changed much since then.

#11     Mar 9, 2010
  2. blackwood

#12     Mar 9, 2010
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

started with Datek (remember them?) back in late 90s, then moved to cyber, now with IB TWS... it's so much easier to trade now than then... much tighter spreads and instant (vs 60-second) executions, bigger monitors, better charts and more.

-k

#13     Mar 9, 2010
  4. i traded with td waterhouse back before they even had a website (mid 90s). it was all done by phone those days. if you placed a phone trade without human assistance, you got the discounted commission of $35. broker-assisted trades were (i recall) $50+.

then etrade came out in 1994 and they changed the ballgame with their $20 trades and web trading platform. i traded with waterhouse, etrade and datek for the rest of the decade

#14     Mar 9, 2010
  5. Yeah, datek and their first real time quoteboard, 9.99 trades, caught zica from 40 cents and told my plumber about it, he cashed in when it hit $35 2MONTH LATER.

its like asking who is your first "real" internet provider.. mine was netcom.com
    then all of a sudden retail brokerages went belly up.. like "OLBI" brokers..

internet killed them all..

#15     Mar 9, 2010
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Anybody here a succesful SOES bandit from back in the day?

I knocked the cover off for about a year until the NASDAQ started clamping down on how many times you could SOES a MM!

#16     Mar 9, 2010
  7. esignal+scottrade, another one I forgot the name. First account lost 75% and second account doubled in a few months.

#17     Mar 9, 2010
  8. charles schawb was my second I believe.

#18     Mar 9, 2010
  9. gaj

gaj

yes, used datek and e-trade when i started, may have taken on ameritrade early on? my first direct access broker was ab watley, and that's how i first saw realtick.

not a soes bandit, didn't know about it until it had been closed up...

#19     Mar 9, 2010
  10. Surdo

Surdo

It was license to steal from the MMer's until everybody figured out what was really going on, don't forget some of these Tech/Biotech names moved in points at a clip.

R.I.P. SOES Bandits

#20     Mar 9, 2010