Warren wants to "get rid of Electoral College"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Snarkhund, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

Thanks. I haven't paid much attention to the pack of Democrats yet aside from the principals.

Here is what they would have to do:

Step 1: The Electoral College is enshrined in the 12th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and therefore requires a constitutional amendment, outlined in Article 5.

Step 2: Congress can propose an amendment with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the state legislatures.

Step 3: It must be ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the states, or by conventions in three-fourths.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    #11     Dec 2, 2019
    MrKJoe likes this.
  2. The DemoCraps are scheming a "work-around". Some state legislators have passed laws that will have the state's Electoral Votes going to the winner of the popular vote... regardless of how the vote went in their state. Once "270 EC votes worth" of that baloney are passed, the EC will be effectively moot.

Nice, eh?

:(

#12     Dec 2, 2019
    MrKJoe likes this.
  3. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

Ouch. Wouldn't a federal judge rule that as unconstitutional?

#13     Dec 2, 2019
    MrKJoe likes this.
  4. Not sure that they can. The original guidelines for casting of EC votes did not mandate that they go to the candidate that won in the state. The EC delegates apparently are free to cast their votes for (1) whomever they choose, or (2) as dictated by state law... regardless of election results.

#14     Dec 2, 2019
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

Interesting take. I always thought that EC is here to stay because it will require amendment which has 0 chance of enactment. Very twisty plan, but makes sense since some stated split EC votes. I guess it is up to people in each state to decide.

This is a law of unintended consequences.

GOP hated Obama and refused to confirm any of his federal judges. Then Obama kills filibuster on them. Then Mitch in turn kills it for Supreme Court and steals a seat by refusing to even hear about Garland.

Now Dems will probably try to get rid of EC.

Sad times, fabric is our nation is being turned apart.

#15     Dec 2, 2019
  6. EC for the most part works in my honest opinion. In the numerous elections we have the issue of popular vote being trumped by EC has only happened 3 times and mostly because of the larger population growth in the coastal cities. There may have been slavery issues and other items raised during creation of EC but as with most of the Constitution, the rationales may have been based on anachronistic ideas but the application can still be modern day.

Dems would not even whisper about EC if HRC won but let's not blame it on EC, she failed in 3 states that were traditionally Blue that should have handed her the election as well as not being able to really flip any Reds.

Trumps i equally stupid because he thought EC was horrible until it gave him the victory and now he flip flopped like an ass saying it is wonderful. He is just as scummy in that regard.

Congress was created on a representational basis and the election of the President was based on the same principles and I doubt that will change.

The interior of the country is basically just land and cattle and the coasts are so heavily populated, it is just the nature of our demographics.

I dont think the system is broken I think the participants are just shitty.

#16     Dec 2, 2019
  7. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

I envision the country ruled politically by San Francisco where they seem unable to even run a municipality. At least NYC is somewhat efficiently run, at least by comparison.

#17     Dec 2, 2019
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Nah, I think FOX and the corporate right wing have found a way to rig the EC in their favor. We all remember when they called that election for Bush, even when he didn't win the EC nor the popular vote.

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/flashback-how-foxs-biased-reporting-clouded-2000-election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_...tion_recount_in_Florida#Post-election_studies

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    #18     Dec 2, 2019
  9. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

Many people believe that this will be struck down by the SCOTUS because all interstate compacts have to be approved by congress. Lawsuits have been pending for years, but they aren't allowed to move forward until the NPVIC goes into effect.

#19     Dec 2, 2019
  10. That is media issue not EC issue. People on West Coast at a disadvantage due to most polls closing while they are coming off work to go vote...

#20     Dec 2, 2019