Warren Buffett's Berkshire Credit Risk Soars to One Level Above Junk

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Nov 18, 2008.

1. it would be funny if brk.a went to 30,000

it would be like oh crap! Oracle no more.

#11     Nov 18, 2008
  2. kaciara

kaciara

imo, the news is that Buffett business now involves selling puts!

"Buffett sold contracts to undisclosed buyers for $4.85 billion that protect the buyers against declines in those markets."

#12     Nov 19, 2008
  3. Buffett is spelled with 2 T's. Back up to the chalk board son. :D

#13     Nov 19, 2008
  4. Wow, Bill Miller -69.51%. I guess that's what happens when you double down on a stock like FNM. :confused:

#14     Nov 19, 2008
  5. toc

toc

'Wow, Bill Miller -69.51%. I guess that's what happens when you double down on a stock like FNM.'

That is what happens when Technical Analysis is totally treated like a crap but Fundamental theories and opinions are valued like words of gold.

Also, most of fundamental managers get sucked into Micro viewpoints and forget the Macro trends developing or laying silently in wait.

Guess which is the next macro trend round the corner? Gold?

Also with Obama now P-elect, any good stem cell stocks to look into.

#15     Nov 19, 2008
  6. LOL! What colossal ignorance. Your collective knowledge of investing compared to Buffett's is like comparing an ant's knowledge of physics to Einstein's. Ignoramuses like you said the same crap before the internet bubble burst.

#16     Nov 19, 2008
  7. buffett fucked up. He should have just hoarded his cash in this deflationary environment, but instead he decides he wants to play superman and save the U.S. Economy. A very bad business decision for he and his shareholders.

#17     Nov 19, 2008
  8. so what

the reason i do '2 minutes buffeT' is this - it almost seems like a periodic ritual, not just on this site, but nearly everywhere in the society, to discuss buffetT, usually with someone brilliantly chiming in 'the oracle of omaha'

and it's a complete waste of time

because if he's truly wise, and ethical, then he has a duty first to his shareholders and can never talk before he buys, because he's so large. once he's bought, he has a conflict of interest

i heard a relative admire that he has a modest house. so what's the point? hoard a massive amount of wealth, and dont know how to enjoy it?

it really comes down to worship of someone because they have a lot of money - that and little else

i once bought a small book about buffett years ago, the cover had a 'down home' look, kind of hillbilly boards on the cover, real 'folksy'. most worthless book i ever read - just a reveling in the cult de buffett. i dont accuse buffett of promoting this sort of thing around him, but that doesnt make it any less real

Orwell had 2 minutes hate, 2 minutes fear, why not 2 minutes buffett?

#18     Nov 19, 2008
  9. This is stupid on so many levels... do you understand that everything hasn't played out yet? Do you really think "playing superman" was the basis of his decisions? If so, why/how do you think you can read his mind? Do you think you would have made better decisions at the time he did with only the information available then? If so, then why weren't you #1 instead of him on the 2008 Forbes list of the world's billionaires? Etc., etc.

#19     Nov 19, 2008
  10. You mean like how it was a bad decision to play superman in 1974, 1987, 1990 and 2002? LOL

Buffet patiently hoards cash for panics exactly like this one. Then he waits 10 years.

Likely, he finds dozens of businesses whose long term cash flow characteristics have NOT changed. He doesn't care about short-term/cyclical earnings.

#20     Nov 19, 2008