Warren Buffett Says America Is "So Rich" It Can Afford Single Payer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. #51     Jun 28, 2017
  2. Perhaps it's never too late to start right now, since that should have been implemented long long time ago. Needs a systemic long-term vision.

#52     Jun 28, 2017
  3. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Amazing to watch from afar how the US manage to tie itself in knots over healthcare.

Currently you have some of the highest healthcare costs and yet lowest life expectancy of developed nations. A unique hatred of governments seems to prevent what other developed nations have and yet ironically you don't even have free markets due to corrupt paid for politicians (big pharmacy etc).

#53     Jun 28, 2017
    comagnum, piezoe and Simples like this.
  4. java

java

Amazing you can't understand why we don't want to live like you.

#54     Jun 28, 2017
  5. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Lol - you said that without even knowing how I live.
    And who do you mean by 'we' just yourself or all Americans?

#55     Jun 28, 2017
    piezoe and Simples like this.
  6. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

I like to think that he meant we as in "the people who have personal responsability and don't like the idea of living at the expense of anybody else, just as we don't like that others live at our expense either".:D

#56     Jun 28, 2017
    ET180 and java like this.
  7. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

The US doesn't have a monopoly on personal responsibility..... and with regards healthcare just look at how less fat, sorry obese, other countries are.

#57     Jun 28, 2017
    piezoe, murray t turtle and Simples like this.
  8. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

You're right. That's why I didn't say "the US.. or the americans"... As I said in a previous post, I'm not even american. I'm brazilian. What I meant by "we" was us, individuals, regardless of nationality, that have personal responsability. These individuals are still more numerous in the US than any other country, but unfortnately, there are few of them, compared to decades ago. The rest of the world has an inverted "balance" in this. I have lived in Austria and Italy and they are a great example of how Europe is. Austrians, just as the rest of Europe, look up to Sweden and in none of these countries, personal responsability is something highly regarded.

#58     Jun 28, 2017
    java likes this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

It's not so much a hatred of government -- we have some of the most idiotic governmental structures and strictures as you can imagine! (Think back to tales of medieval Europe and ring-kissing and such -- it's *that* bad in places.) But it is more a profound lack of civility amongst -- get this[!] -- our civic leaders! Visible right here on ET, and right here in this thread -- dyspeptic disphoriacs (or is that, "disphoric dyspeptics"?? I don't know.) of either party *attack* "The Other Side" as unpatriotic ne'er-do-wells whose political *rantings* will bring down Civilization As We Know It. How did Our Current Preside -ent get elected? Ruppurt Murdrock and his ilk, fanning ignorance while the FCC (which abandoned any Public Good goals many years ago) looked away.

I think, for every 10 years, we should declare ANY political party to be illegal and a capital crime, for the ensuing 10 years. Just flush it all out, every other decade.

Thems my thoughts.
    I need a beer.
    10:30 on a Wednesday morning.

#59     Jun 28, 2017
    comagnum, Jakobsberg and speedo like this.
  10. speedo

speedo

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.

JOHN ADAMS, letter to Jonathan Jackson, October 2, 1789

#60     Jun 28, 2017
    Simples and tommcginnis like this.