Warren Buffett Says America Is "So Rich" It Can Afford Single Payer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

I did explain. You should read the post. I was very specific: National Defense, Police and Justice System. Everything else should be completely privatized(because everything else can be regulated by free markets). If you don't want to pay for any service to collect garbage, your house will just become a big garbage storage, a dump, that is your choice. There is no "free ride", you either pay it or you don't get the service.
    And if the smell starts to bother your neighbors, the necessary evil called "justice system" will have the power to punish you for it.
    :D

#301     Jan 4, 2018
  2. Firstly, please note that my hypothetical question was about clean public spaces, not your private property. Therefore you haven't actually offered me any specific solutions.

Secondly, like I said, why do you get to choose what should and shouldn't be public in my community? Isn't that a form of tyranny in itself?

#302     Jan 4, 2018
  3. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Your community can define whatever it wants, how it wants, as long as EACH AND EVERY person that lives in it agrees(which is praticaly impossible, but let's assume that you managed to make a miracle). In this setting, your very small community may decide whatever it wants regarded to garbage collection and if it accepts "free riders", no problem, they each pay for the free riders voluntarily. If one member does not agree with this, he simply gets out(which makes your miracle increasingly smaller):D.
    If you're not in your community and you throw your garbage in public spaces(which is another matter, since government should hold no property), but taking today's reality, you'll simply be punished by the justice system(again).

#303     Jan 4, 2018
  4. Xela

Xela

Not so much ... but there are one or two examples where they probably are, over issues which (generally for "bad" reasons) have become "sacrosanct" to the popular will - I was thinking of the UK's national health service.

#304     Jan 4, 2018
  5. But what if my community decides that we don't want to accept "free riders"? In fact, my community gives you the freedom to choose whether to live in it or not, but if you choose the former, you would have to abide by the rules set by the majority. What is wrong with this approach and how is it worse than what you suggested?
    Agreed... Just another example of how nothing is ever about simple "black and white".

#305     Jan 4, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  6. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Nothing wrong with it... In fact, that is exactly what I propposed. If you read my last post, you'll see that this is exactly what I said.
    The point is: people can opt out.
    In a single payer system, people can't.

#306     Jan 4, 2018
  7. Well, my suggestion, if you read my last post, was actually different to yours... I was saying that if people want to "free ride", they're free to opt out of living in my community. Conversely, if they choose to live in my community, they agree to abide by the rules set by the majority. As far as I can tell, this isn't tyranny, according to your definition.

#307     Jan 4, 2018
  8. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Let me copy the part of my post that explains exactly that... (That is the second time I'm showing you the same thing, so this is getting kind of boring.)
    "Your community can define whatever it wants, how it wants, as long as EACH AND EVERY person that lives in it agrees(which is praticaly impossible, but let's assume that you managed to make a miracle). In this setting, your very small community may decide whatever it wants regarded to garbage collection and if it accepts "free riders", no problem, they each pay for the free riders voluntarily."
    The same concept applies if they don't accept "free riders", which is what I talked about in the first place: if they don't pay, they don't get the service.
    If the individual chooses to live in a way that he will accept the will of the majority, even if that means accepting things that he thinks would be better otherwise, it's OK, because AGAIN: he CHOSE to do that.
    Even though he is living in a collectivist community, it is his INDIVIDUAL CHOICE to do so, therefore, no problem at all.

#308     Jan 4, 2018
  9. Fantastisch! Doesn't this mean you're OK with the will of the majority and democracy as a result?

#309     Jan 4, 2018
  10. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Boy... you're slow...:rolleyes::confused:
    No, not at all... The system you described states that people can OPT OUT.
    In a democracy, the will of the majority is IMPOSED and you CAN'T OPT OUT.
    That is the problem with a single payer system: The government FORCES EVERYONE to pay, there is NO CHOICE.

#310     Jan 4, 2018