Warren Buffett Says America Is "So Rich" It Can Afford Single Payer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. sle

sle

Well, considering that number of people that died from prion exposure of all kinds is ... 1-2 people per million and most of it from Creutzfeldt-Jakob (https://goo.gl/rfDEGx).

PS. There are plenty of other orphan illnesses with the same occurrence that receive close to zero funding.

#261     Dec 31, 2017
  2. sle

sle

Is it worth 4.8 trillion dollars in spending? Sounds like a pretty expensive option to me.

Have they? Most of them have been around for many years, yet their attacks are very low tech (albeit sometimes high concept, like the 9/11).

#262     Dec 31, 2017
  3. sss12

sss12

Come on ..do you think that current cost per death is a prudent way to illustrate/project the future cost of the end goals of terrorist groups and their agendas if they are not thwarted?

#263     Dec 31, 2017
  4. sle

sle

Yeah, of course it is. We spend more than we should. More importantly, we give them a lot of attention and that's exactly what they crave.

#264     Dec 31, 2017
  5. Gambit

Gambit

TlDr; Leave the Middle East, focus on domestic energy options including drilling in Anwar, build alternative energy tech for the future.

I'll be candid about my political opinions. The U.S. record in the middle east is abysmal, stretching back into the 70s. There is no clear victory to be had there. The real solution is to withdraw from the solution and focus on domestic sources of energy even if it means drilling in Anwar. And the reason I say that is the environmental damage caused by the Iraq war is catastrophic. Think of all those oil wells that Saddam ignited.
    Once a strategic withdrawal is implemented, the passions that fuel terrorism may diminish with time. And we must not keep military bases in Saudi Arabia. Let the Saudis fend for themselves. They have the money.
    And finally, focus on alternative energy sources for the future. But with the present policy? That spending is a must. The threat of another 9/11 or something worse is always on the horizon.

#265     Dec 31, 2017
  6. sss12

sss12

Wow, totally disagree. Some of the bad guys have much larger ambitions than just getting attention and are not the JV, as our apologetic past Pres thought.

#266     Dec 31, 2017
  7. Gambit

Gambit

There's always a cost to running an Empire.

#267     Dec 31, 2017
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Yes, I would. I'm going to give you a pass on this, because you are either

A. Clueless because of your age.

B. Clueless because of your ignorance of the world's situation.

C. Just insensitive to the world and what the heck goes on.

Go ahead and whine about funding to fight terrorism, and how it is all a waste.

If only you were there on Sep 11, 2001. Please. Don't spout shit about something you have no clue about, statistics be damned. You'd sing a different tune IF YOU WERE THERE.

#268     Dec 31, 2017
  9. sss12

sss12

We are already a net exporter of oil.....

#269     Dec 31, 2017
  10. sle

sle

There are guys on Randalls Island that have grand ambitions. It’s the ability to implement those ambitions that counts and they were not very successful over many many years.

I was in the NYC. I was watching the towers burn from the Bear Steans trading floor in midtown Manhattan. A bunch of my friends died in the South Tower. So when I “spout shit” I know fair and well what I am talking about. The political establishment used this tragedy to rob us blind.

#270     Dec 31, 2017
    Cuddles and Simples like this.