Warren Buffett Says America Is "So Rich" It Can Afford Single Payer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Did you know he disowned at least one grandchild? Totally cut off. She lives on 30- 40 k a year now. Not indentured servitude but still...seems cold.

#241     Dec 30, 2017
    SunTrader likes this.
  2. Another globalist ___

#242     Dec 30, 2017
  3. Overnight

Overnight

#243     Dec 30, 2017
  4. sle

sle

And yet he has pledged over 80% of his net worth to a charitable foundation (and not even his own). Granted, I barely earn in a year what he makes in a couple of hours from the dividend carry (*), but I am trying to follow his example. On one hand, I try to pay as little in taxes as I can (living in the NYC, my marginal tax rate is over 50%) and take advantage of every loophole I can. On the other hand, I donate just shy of 50% of my income to a variety of causes (all the usual liberal stuff such as fighting poverty, various health initiatives, protecting nature etc.).

PS. Oddly enough, if I just consider his total compensation from Berkshire, it's not that different from an average Wall Streeter like myself

#244     Dec 30, 2017
    d08 and Simples like this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

When you (Buffett not you you) are worth gazillions WTF is 80%, 88% or 99.88%. And with one foot in the grave. All well and good but it does not deny the fact he games the system, that he knocks, as good as any other player.

#245     Dec 31, 2017
  6. d08

d08

An utterly dumb comment. What's next - "the military is inefficient, so why doesn't Buffett form his own private army to fight for the country"?

#246     Dec 31, 2017
  7. d08

d08

I respect him more for that. In all likelihood the grandchild deserved it. I'm against inheritance as a whole though - it only causes problems, ruins lives and creates inequality.

#247     Dec 31, 2017
    Cuddles, sle and Gambit like this.
  8. Gambit

Gambit

I'm not saying she didn't deserve it either. She "blabbed" about the family. I don't know...it's harsh but sometimes parents and grandparents need to be harsh. I disagree somewhat but I understand the idea behind it.

#248     Dec 31, 2017
  9. Arnie

Arnie

So we are agreed, Buffet can do what he wants with HIS money.

#249     Dec 31, 2017
    Gambit likes this.
  10. Gambit

Gambit

Haha. Ok, that was funny. Of course...of course. Still, we have a right as Americans to gossip about his family life, gawk and criticize. It is the American way ;)

#250     Dec 31, 2017