Warren Buffett Says America Is "So Rich" It Can Afford Single Payer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. speedo

speedo

Fake news is all the rage, agendas trump (no pun intended) reality.

#111     Jun 30, 2017
  2. %%
    LOL ;great point.Another dis advantage of the gov running it;if they want to give ''free showers/free trainride'' like the Nazi did, they may do that. And if they want to goof around with vets + they die, like they have already done in USa, they can.ACA is a TRAINWRECK===========================================================================================================================================

#112     Jun 30, 2017
  3. My chart said "Maternal mortality rate", I'm pretty sure.

#113     Jun 30, 2017
  4. You can read the latest UK Supreme Court full ruling here:
    https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/charlie-gard-190617.pdf

You can also read the ECHR ruling on the parents' appeal here:
    http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/app/conversion/pdf/?library=ECHR&id=003-5768362-7332860&filename=Inadmissibility decision in the case Gard and Others v. the UK - decisions by UK courts endorsed.pdf

This is an explanation provided by the Great Ormond Street Hospital which has been treating Charlie Gard:
    http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/frequently-asked-questions-about-charlie-gard-court-case

This is the original UK High Court decision by Judge Francis:
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Fam/2017/972.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    #114     Jun 30, 2017
    piezoe likes this.
  5. Good points
    Buffet may help you, for profit of cpourse; he is buying part of oil refiner PSX ......LOL. Maybe get closer to free market later on ; not sure anyone wants ACA= trainwreck, by elections========================================================================================================================================

#115     Jun 30, 2017
  6. ET180

ET180

Where did I claim that owning a car is necessary to live? Where did I claim that those who don't drive don't pay taxes? Why can't you address my argument rather that attacking arguments that I never made??

My point is that if healthcare only covered the catastrophic stuff, it would not need to be so expensive. Based on your argument, "medical care is often required to maintain your life / quality of life" well shit, that definition includes everything. There are so many things necessary to maintain my quality of life or even just life. Ignoring the necessities for quality of life which for some might include beer, drugs, hookers, and video games, let's just consider the top 2 (and there are many more) basic necessities aside from safety. I need food and shelter. Then by your definition, healthcare / insurance should also provide those as they are basic necessities for life. But an insurance plan that covers food is analogous to my car insurance example that covers gasoline. It's just absurd. Health insurance should only cover unexpected catastrophic events. If it did, then it would be affordable. And also things such as regular doctor visits not covered by the healthcare would become a lot cheaper because the laws of supply and demand would kick in -- people would start shopping around for doctors and young people would often skip going to the doctor effectively lowering the demand for those services and consequently cause prices to drop. Peter Schiff articulates this same point well:

I also don't dispute that Canadians are healthier than Americans. But I don't think that's due to having more access to doctors or drugs. It's cultural and perhaps influenced by the demographics (race). For example, since Canada is mostly white and Asian, how does the longevity of those races compare to the average longevity of the same races in the US?

I'm not against helping others out, but I realize that resources are finite and I'd rather spend money on cancer research to help the guy who did everything right in terms of diet and exercise, but ended up getting colon cancer and only has a few months to live vs. someone who made poor life choices, smoked, did drugs, ate crap food, etc. and needs special services to accommodate disability due to type-2 diabetes.

#116     Jul 1, 2017
  7. volpri

volpri

Outlawing insurance companies would drive the costs down on any area. Insurance companies give birth to greed which knows no limits. Scuttle them. Prices will drop amazingly low. Docs will compete to give you their best service at their best rates if you are paying as they know you will just run to another doc if they don't. They now just bill outrageous sums to insurance companies and care less about the patient. They just want more money so what do they do?.. program more visits ..look at you for 5 minutes schedule..bill huge amounts to insurance...schedule another visit in two weeks..fer more money..then bill the insurance companies again. Rinse and repeat. Keeps the money coming in. The insurance companies raise the premiums so they can make money hand over fist while forcing the gov to bail them out when they get in trouble..Do you really think damn iv fluids cost 11,000? Why did you wait so long? Could it be cause they had programmed tons of other visits before you so they could get more money. Could it be they knew you were in "the bag" they had you? You needed them ..not they needed you? Could it be you could wait until they got good and ready to fix your problem ...but in the meantime while you wait they can make more money off scheduled up visits? You ain't going nowhere. Could it be you are truely a sick person ..so you gotta wait? Could it be they will just get to you when they can and want to?

Do away with medical insurance entirely. That in itself will produce quality healthcare as doctors compete and it will put a damper on greed and only the best will rise thru graduate school to become doctors. Service will get better. Costs will go down. Just visit some other countries. Americans are getting screwed by healthcare costs with its root being greed..pure greed...and a system that foments greed.

If people have to pay their own medical bill they wont race to the emergency room for a snotty nose and docs bill insurance 3000 dollars to show them how to blow their nose on a tissue paper. Skinned knees will be treated at home with soap and water and triple A antibiotic or iodine..etc. Flu with a little whiskey..lemon..honey..etc....home remedies will abound. People won't run to hospital with a sprained knuckle if they are paying for the visit themselves. Docs will have so few people in waiting rooms they will be praying for more patients to come in and for someone to please get sick so they can make a payday. And when they do get a patient they will take their time and show some darn concern. Of course all this is my opinion only but i think it to be a pretty good opinion.

#117     Jul 1, 2017
  8. The doctors and big pharma are using disease as a profit machine and grossly overcharging.
    Doctors are paid too much.
    There are not health providers but disease merchants.

#118     Jul 1, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. srinir

srinir

I am all for the single payer system.
    But man "disease merchants"? You are off the rails here. Hope you are not going to be sick in your life. Doctor's spend entire their precious young life in slaving away and studying (4 years of pre med, 4 years of med, 3 years of residency and 3 years of fellowship after highschool), while this community is pointing and clicking away. They are paid probably little higher, but not that high compared to executives of capital america.
    No wonder society has such low opinion of traders and high regard to physicians.

#119     Jul 1, 2017
    ET180, murray t turtle and ironchef like this.
  10. speedo

speedo

The odds of an ET poster being an actual trader are fairly low. Most of us are aware that there are flaws throughout the health delivery system.

#120     Jul 1, 2017
    volpri likes this.