Warren Buffett "George W. Bush, I give him great credit for leading"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nutmeg, Nov 17, 2010.

1. In the darkest of days, Ben Bernanke, Hank Paulson, Tim Geithner and Sheila Bair grasped the gravity of the situation and acted with courage and dispatch. And though I never voted for George W. Bush, I give him great credit for leading, even as Congress postured and squabbled.

cont on link..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40229527

2. You realize, of course, that Buffett was referring to the stimulus package that is believed to have warded off an economic depression, right? The very thing that Tea Partyers are totally against and the reason that so many Right Wingers ostensibly don't approve of Obama. I'm just wondering if you have a point.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

4. LeeD

LeeD

- I narrowed your choices down to 5 unthinkable options. Each will cause untold misery...
    - (interrupts) I pick number three
    - You don't wanna read them first?
    - I was elected to lead, not to read. (yells) Number three!
    "Simpsons the Movie"

That's one way to see leadership...

5. olias

olias

And this is why politics is such a joke.

6. I believe that Obama passed the stimulus on Feb 17th, 2009 after Bush left office. It seems like Buffett was referring to TARP passed in Oct 2008 that had the Federal Government buy up alot of the toxic assets.

TP (Tea Party) groups certainly are opposed to the stimulus but also cast their net too wide to include TARP which is a mistake.
    It can be argued that the stimulus didn't return the economic multiplier that was behind it, but this arguement doesn't apply to the TARP.

IMHO, it seems to me that the TARP was necessary given the downside risk. Could it have been structured better to ensure those that caused the mess didn't profit? Sure. But anyone with half a memory will recall the speed in which the collapse happened and SOMETHING had to be done quick. That is what Buffett is referring to - not the stimulus...

7. Bush may be pestering Buffett to have him serve on board(s) of directors of Buffett's companies. :eek: :mad:

8. LeeD

LeeD

“Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an Invisible Government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.” -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President

9. what little respect I had for the man, just went out the window,

right into the trash,

and not fresh trash,

the rotting, stinking, 2008 trash

10. pspr

pspr

Warren Buffet is a jackass. He didn't bother to mention that he made a ton of money off the JPM bailout. Can you say 'than you, Obama', Warren? As a native son of Omaha I'm ashamed that Buffet calls that home.

#10     Nov 17, 2010