Warren Buffet will go broke

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NY_HOOD, Oct 17, 2008.

1. WTF! Are you kidding? I'm not commenting on what Buffet is doing, but saying that 73-74 is worse than now is just ignorant.

Remember key differences ... there was a lot of room between Fed Funds and zero in the mid-70s, there is very little now. The government and the populace was not nearly as indebted then as they are now. The point being, that both then and now were brutal bear markets and recessions, but in the mid-70s, there were a lot of bullets left in the gun. Now, the Feds are all-in. What do they have left if things get worse from here?

#11     Oct 17, 2008
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

im going with NY hood on this one.....the avg investor is tapped out....I have never in my life received so many calls on what is going on...people are tapping out..if he is wrong and the market drops another 20% suicides would sky rocket.....peace

#12     Oct 17, 2008
  3. That's easy. Debt-free is fine unless your assets are worthless. Stock value at zero means broke. And yes, he does have some debt.

#13     Oct 17, 2008
  4. jamus

jamus

Only 1%...he will lose it all!!! (mind you that is more than all ET'ers are worth)

#14     Oct 17, 2008
  5. ====================
    Mr Buffet's view of debt [weak link in a chain], is rather old fashioned, but i like it.:cool:

His paperwork with GS, probably did find favor with the Fed;
    peradventure not the main motive.........................................

Local TN farm tractor dealer is buying some, but thats more material/commodity based than paperwork.

Frankly ,i enjoyed doing business with Mr Buffet 's investment, Wells Fargo Bank;
    but as far a calling bottoms [plural-LOL] in a bear market,
    well, i wouldnt be too quick in calling bottoms in a bear market.

Jury is still out on '73-'74 compared to this bear market;
    drought is still severe in many places, not just USA..

Best of times & the worst of times.
    Like they say,
    love ''bears'' all........................
    ===========================

#15     Oct 17, 2008
  6. He can't go broke. He still has social security check every month.:D

#16     Oct 17, 2008
  7. ===========================

Interesting perspective.
    :D
    1929,1930's , DOW got close to zero, but the commies were disappointed,stocks eventually recovered...............................

G-trader, good points;
    some of Mr Buffets stock/business investments[as you probably know],
    include the commercial real estate. But i have seen more local delinquint tax auctions ,in TN.They didnt pay the local property tax, so the real estate was auctioned off on county courthouse steps.

News said recently, social security recievers got a raise;
    dont know what Walnut Tree Capital did this year,
    but local walnut trees had rain & a good crop.:cool:

#17     Oct 17, 2008
  8. i suspect he is already profitable if he bought yesterday morning. the question is will he keep it.

#18     Oct 17, 2008
  9. Arnie

Arnie

There was an interview with Buffet on CNBC the other day and he said the vast majority of his personal wealth was in Treasuries. The guy has been arund the block a few times, so I wouldn't bet against him. :cool:

#19     Oct 17, 2008
  10. eagle

eagle

Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.

Let's assume that Buffet considers US economy as a whole as a single stock. You can test the above theory by taking one single stock at your preference and watch it carefully then apply the above rule. I bet you will make some money and won't go broke.

#20     Oct 17, 2008