Warren Buffet: We are in a long and deep recession the likes we have not seen

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jackstone54, Apr 28, 2008.

1. #1 may not happen that is if that comet misses the earth
    #2 The Titanic has sunk.
    #3 Correct, we are done.
    #4 Correct. It may never come back just like Nasdaq 5000.
    #5 I would like to think soo...

#21     Apr 28, 2008
  2. WTF are you talking about?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080425/cheesecake_factory_mover.html?.v=2

Cheesecake Factory drops, analysts mixed on consumer impact
    Friday April 25, 7:13 pm ET
    Cheesecake Factory falls, analysts mixed on impact tightened consumer spending is having

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cheesecake Factory Inc.'s stock tumbled Friday as analysts were mixed on the impact tightened consumer spending was having on the casual dining chain.

Late Thursday the Calabasas Hills, Calif.-based company reported its first-quarter profit fell 22 percent to $14.3 million, or 21 cents per share, on increased costs and a drop in same-store sales, but the results met the expectations of analysts polled by Thomson Financial.

Cheesecake Factory also said its guest traffic levels were below normal levels. Many casual dining restaurants have seen traffic decline due to a slowdown in consumer spending. Consumers are cutting back on discretionary purchases like a dinner out due to recession fears, rising gas and food prices and the continued housing downturn.

Stifel Nicolaus & Co. analyst Steve West said he's started to notice that Cheesecake Factory's operating results are feeling pressure from the consumer spending clampdown.

"The consumer resiliency Cheesecake Factory once showed, in relation to other casual dining concepts, has finally given way," he wrote in an analyst note.

Unlike some other analysts, West said he does not foresee a rebound in the second half of the year, instead predicting Cheesecake Factory will face "another year of negative traffic and same-store sales."

Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, is a key indicator of retailer performance since it measures growth at existing stores rather than newly opened ones.

West lowered his 2008 earnings-per-share estimate to $1.13 from $1.18 and trimmed his 2009 forecast to $1.28 from $1.35.

Greg Ruedy of Stephens Inc. was more optimistic about the company, saying he was pleased with its cost control efforts and off-site sales initiatives such as catering and its new home delivery service.

"We continue to view Cheesecake Factory as the concept best positioned to weather the ensuing difficulties of a slowing economy," the analyst wrote.

Shares of Cheesecake Factory fell 40 cents, or 1.9 percent, to close at $21.17. Over the past year, the stock has traded between $17.24 and $29.78.

#22     Apr 28, 2008
  3. I was at Sears last Saturday. The store was quite empty ~@5pm.

#23     Apr 28, 2008

4. All you need now is a plastic stool and nylon rope from Home Depot and rent a $20 motel room and hang yourself to the ceiling fan...

#24     Apr 28, 2008

5. Did they have big sign out in the parking lot " We are in a recession" in red bold letters?

#25     Apr 28, 2008

6. Warren Buffet maybe the richest man in the world, but he is also worlds greatest miser.

I heard he has lived in a $800,000 home since 1959! the Guy doesnot even have front door security, a man with a gun walked up to his door not too long ago. All those billions would have been ashes that day.

What kind of advice you take from such people?

#26     Apr 28, 2008
  7. Don't you realise Buffett is just a third rate actor, brought out every time the multi-nationals need a 'voice of the people' to back up their strategy? He's filled his 10 room house with free furniture, eats at the local diner and wouldn't know what a stock was even if it smashed him in the face and called him Wanker Bollocks. He's the Ronald McDonald of investing, everybody smile coz I iz the biz. He doesn't need security because no one needs to kill him, the message would be 'We kill kindly old men who don't have a frickin' clue as to what's going on'.

Forget what he's saying and invest in the latest fads and bubbles, you'll double your money in a year!

#27     Apr 28, 2008
  8. dcvtss

dcvtss

I was at the grocery store Sunday and the woman in line in front of me was on the phone with her bank's automated thingy transferring money out of savings into checking to cover the food.

People baffle me; she's pulling money out of savings to buy food but her cart was full of expensive non essentials like premium ice cream, frozen dinners and other brand name packaged goods. It really summed up the whole mentality that has lead to the economic situation this country is in.

#28     Apr 29, 2008
  9. day/hft...any chance you answer ANY of my questions? 2000+ posts and zero substance...typical of this place

#29     Apr 29, 2008
  10. yep we've hit it , day just also called warren buffet out..Before that stock called wb"overrated"..2 HUGE LIARS, everyone should put these ladies on ignore.....or worse, we should quit this place.,..pronto...I am ashamed to be linked here...thanks serial crazy nutty posters!!!!!

#30     Apr 29, 2008