Warning: Matrox Parhelia & Millenium P750 cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by learninglisted, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Kap

Kap

I use a Matrox Parhelia for triple screens, no problems, indeed its the best mulitimonitor card I have ever used.

I have a mass of charts 3-4 per screen and execution software...

what is this "stretched" mode only complaint you have.. ?

#11     May 7, 2004
  2. Thanks for your confirmation. here says so
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_pseries/p750.cfm

I don't understand your question well?

#12     May 7, 2004
  3. i know you guys are talking abount matrox but just want to give my two cents worth. i use the colorgraphics 4 monitor and it works great and every monitor is controlled separately. i really like it.

#13     May 7, 2004
  4. Kap

Kap

I can't see the problem with the parhelia for financial market displays, thats all.

#14     May 7, 2004
  5. than a card that manage 3 or 4 screens... i try to back up everything i can in case of a probleme happens during the day..

#15     May 7, 2004
  6. Curious why you guys are using some of these relatively expensive cards. I have 2 Matrox G450's at a total cost of under $200 for both cards. This allows full flexibilty of 4 monitors. I see no point in spending more than $500 for a 4 monitor card that creates intense, localized heat and if one output fails, you get to replace the whole card. Am I missing something?

#16     May 7, 2004
  7. Kap

Kap

seems logical I guess.. but do you have a solution for 6 panels (digital output)....also is one of those 450's on the PCI slot ?

tia, Kap

#17     May 7, 2004
  8. Kap,

Both are PCI, I just have a hunch that mixing PCI and AGP is not a good idea.

I'm planning on building a dedicated trading machine soon and will use 3 G450's. I avoid having anything else in a PCI slot. Beyond 8 monitors (using 4 PCI slots) you'd have to use quad cards, but at that point, I"d rather have 2 independant systems (whole computers) and pay for an extra data feed. The redundancy would be worth the slight extra cost. Heck, for the price of a single quad card you can almost build a barebones system.

btw- It was a bitch getting my setup working with the Matrox drivers. I just used the drivers that came with Win XP and have been happy ever after.

#18     May 7, 2004
  9. IMHO, you don' t need anything above a G550 for trading.

#19     May 7, 2004
  10. a5519

a5519

I have just connected 2 Samsung LCD monitors to Radeon 9000 card and the quality of the image on both monitors is far from the same. The problem is that one output of the card is digital and the other is analogous. The analogous quality is much worse and different tuning attempts didn't help.
    So the solution could be the Millenniun P650: http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_pseries/p650.cfm
    This is the cheapest card, as I understand, that has dual digital outputs. But there are few concerns related to this card.

Installation could be not without problems. I have read in Matrox forum that it will be necessary to remove all other graphic card drivers and even .NET Framework before installing P650 drivers. It sounds not very good.

The second point is compatibility. P650 supports AGP 8x, 4x, 2x and says the system must be AGP 3.0 compliant. What does it mean ? On the motherboard Asus P4PE there are Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 4X (1.5V only) and 6 x PCI. Ist it AGP 3.0 compliant ?

Could somebody post the experience with P650: replacing the existing card, compatibility with motherboard. Are there beter alternatives to this card?

#20     May 31, 2004