(WARNING) I'm revealing a dirty secret about trading..

Discussion in 'Trading' started by focusonmoney, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Why dont you post the results of you backtest?

#11     Jun 29, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I looked at his posts... the dirty little secret is that he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and there are no metrics. Just discovered the 'start a thread button' in a drunken stupor.

#12     Jun 29, 2011
  3. +10

#13     Jun 29, 2011
  4. Lucias

Lucias

In my report, "Even More Edges", I share the expectancy formula

Win Amount * Win Frequency - Loss Amount * Loss Frequency = 0

This formula is based on the rather sound assumption that the expectancy is zero for any given (random) trading method. The fact that some systems have higher win ratios or lower win ratios is for the most part inconsequential. I will favor high win ratios because it reduces trading costs and increases stability of equity curve. This formula is not an edge but I show how if one has an edge they can use this formula to choose any win ratio they desire.

Trend following systems, if they win more then zero, are benefiting from the market inability to price rare events. One might also say they benefit from some sort of perceptual lag among market participants.

As Bone said though, you do not present anything worthwhile to support your contentions.

Think about this: let's say you trade 2 contracts and you decide to take first off at 75% probability and the second at a 25% probability target. There will be some mid point target between the two that will have the same net probability of the combined.

I'm afraid trading is not about math for some of us. I'm one of the best at calling direction and I'm above average in all areas except math.

#14     Jun 29, 2011
  5. I once did a test on trading, throw a bunch of trade entries, I called "profit-lets", randomly buy or sell with equal stop and profit targets. You guess what you will have >50% winning ratios guaranteed if you add to reversion to the means to it, otherwise close to 50% R:R.

#15     Jun 29, 2011
  6. Before anyone make a comment please read my post correctly. I never said u have to be a mathematician or engineer... and I never said it's ALL about math.. I said trading is about math.. Now about LTCM, I don't how they blew up and neither do you unless you help them... You don't have to believe my post, its cool... no skin off my back..

#16     Jun 29, 2011
  7. bone

bone

Focus, you just revealed a dirty little secret about posting on ET.

(WARNING)

Somebody please start a website where you have to provide a trading statement in order to post.

#17     Jun 29, 2011

8. YAWN

#18     Jun 30, 2011
  9. It's official, Et has a bunch of non traders... BONE, it's very clear you don't day trade because you would of understood my post when you first read it.. You always talking about my client this my client that.. What kind of clients do you have? I hope not traders....

Oh boy this forum is too funny... I see why people are unsuccessful.. They never want to listen and always have something negative to say.. Just test out the strategy I gave you and you will see it works... The problem is you want me to give you a complete system to trade... Why would I do that?

#19     Jun 30, 2011
  10. The problem is that you presume you are giving information that is revolutionary. This info can be found in any beginners trading doc. Take some off the table when in profit and let the rest ride. Is this holy grail stuff? Not really. Go back and refine what you think is important and come back when you actually have something to contribute.

#20     Jun 30, 2011