warning about new Zonealarm update

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by jimrockford, Sep 14, 2005.

1. I downloaded the new "important security update" as soon as ZA warned me to do so. I then installed it. My email software immediately lost its ability to communicate with my ISP's server. I checked the Zone Labs forums and discovered other users were having a host of problems with this update, and some of them were even having exactly the same issue as me. I uninstalled ZA, and re-installed the previous version. This immediately fixed my email problem. So my advice is to skip this update, and wait for the next one.

2. mhashe

mhashe

Thanks for the headsup. :)

3. I downloaded the update with no problems at all :D

4. use sygate

5. Babak

Babak

no problems here - must be on your end

6. No problems here with Thunderbird. :D

7. No probs here either - CQG, Tradestation, IB, Outllook, Firefox, Spysweeper, Viruscan Enterprise.

Did you install it by doing a "Clean Install"? This wipes your previous settings, but is recommended by ZL. ZoneAlarm is a great product - but I would also recommend a Hardware Firewall - so cheap these days (or an old Linux box to do that job).

8. alanm

alanm

Look at their message board. Lots of people (including me) had lots of trouble with it. Even the "fixed" updated seems to have problems, too. Very disappointing - ZL products were solid and stable for a long time.

9. newtoet

newtoet

No problem here. Downloaded new update, and everything works perfect.

10. Some people NEVER learn.
    Do a search on ZA. You'll see that it's a chronical illness.

#10     Sep 16, 2005