War Optimism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stocon, Mar 23, 2003.

1. "I am agaisnt war, have been so long before it started, and wouldn't have changed my mind unless the UN would have backed it. let's see how many would join me in the days to come."

So you think this war is wrong, but if the U.N. had backed it then its OK ? When the president of the U.S. sends soldiers to war, its wrong, but if the head of the U.N. wants to do it thats fine? Man that is the most fucked up thing I have heard all day, although it is still morning.

#11     Mar 24, 2003
  2. By the way, that video was designed to stir up disgust, its the only way they can possibly win, and you are already caving in. Yes, we will see how many people join you, but if you are hoping that everybody is like you....lol....not gonna happen. This isn't France.

If your stomach is churning, take some antacid. And stop watching Iraqi propaganda films aired by Al Jazeera.

#12     Mar 24, 2003
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Im not an expert, but I think when you get right down too it most people will defend their country/homelands regardless of what they think of the people running it. During WW2 many of the German soldiers, even some top officers, did not particularly care one way or the other about the Nazi part, what they did care about was Germany and defending it. When your country comes under attack, your natural inclination would be to defend it. Just remember how we all felt after Sept 11th. 99% of Americans would that day would have done whatever they could to defend their country. Most people would have personally killed the hijackers given the opportunity in order to defend America, even if it cost them their own lives to do so, such as we saw in Pennslyvania. So for me, I don't see why it is such a suprise that the Iraqi's are defending Iraq.

I think this embedded reporter stuff is really backfiring on the milatary. When every single casualty becomes headlines, you can't fight a war. Imagine if this is what we had to put up with during WW2, everyone would be saluting the Nazi flag.

Its a war and people will die. I think that we as American's have to stay resolute, because if a few causualties start to turn us away from this, we will have much bigger problems in the future as any enemy will "know" we lack the spirit to fight.

My dad served in the 9th Infantry Division during the Vietnam war. He was shot and spent over a year in the hospital as a result, and one of the things I know that always gets him upset is the feeling that all of his buddies died for nothing, that we just gave up and did not try to win that war. We should not do that to our servicemen again. Those that die, we can honor their memory by making sure their sacrafice was not for nothing.

Brandon

#13     Mar 24, 2003
  4. TBA

TBA

I really hope people respect each other's views without having to curse. This clearly shows they're not convinced by the war either.

What you couldn't read between the lines is that if the UN had backed this war, this would have been preceded by clear evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. Instead of waging the war first, and then searching for a proof. What kind of rational is that ? This is war, mass destruction, mass killings of civilians and innocents, mass despise by the world, and yet mass consequences following the end of the war.

I am sorry, but I was brought up to use my brain instead of blindly following mass lies. The president finally admitted that "Don't bank on a quick victory", and my question to him is how come after all those years, and being the sun of a former president, he hasn't learned yet that there is no such thing as victory in wars. Unless of course he meant financial victory, this one I know he'll get for sure. As for watching regional TV channels, I'm sorry, I'll keep watching them, and by the way, this has nothing to do with stomach churning, I rather decided to watch when I realized there were lies spreading from day one (Um kasr taken, no not yet ... Basra under control, oh no,,, not yet), and when I watched I saw that video, and guess what was being reported on FOX few minutes earlier ? All fighter planes are safe, all pilots are safe, bla bla bla, and tons of other lies.

#14     Mar 24, 2003
  5. TBA

TBA

bardonf,

Because the president has been spreading lies that these people will greet the troops with open arms, because he's been saying that these people are oppressed, because he's been saying that these people can't wait to get liberated, because he labeled this war Iraqi Freedom, when it turns out that none of the Iraqis want it.

#15     Mar 24, 2003
  6. klutz

klutz

Truth is we are fighting this war with our hands tied behind our backs. I mean we can't have civillians being injured so the Iraqi's change into civillian clothes or hide behind women and children.

Got a US General on Bioomberg at the moment telling me that we are safeguarding the oilfields to protect Iraq's future. Is anyone else as sick as I am of all this sanctimonious crap.?

Never mind public opinion .............get on with the job!!

#16     Mar 24, 2003
  7. TBA

TBA

Yeah, protect the oil fields, so that later on the oil gets exported to the US, and the money paid to US companies who will go reconstruct Iraq. Sanctimonious crap indeed !

The best comment I heard about the ongoing debate about who's gonna take charge of reconstructuring Iraq was "There is no point in discussing reconstruction, when the US destruction is still underway". And guess who said that ? I'll leave it to your imagination !

#17     Mar 24, 2003
  8. The thing about this war is two folds:

1) It is said we are liberating the people from a crazy oppressor.
    Why is this a bad argument? Next thing you know, US invades Korea, Iran, Yemen, Columbia because it disapproves of its leader. It is not the US's job to invest a country and liberate it, not without the International community backing up.

2) It is said that we are protecting ourselves from WMD.
    There again, what better way to get ourselves in trouble than to invest a country, piss the army off and get sprayed with chemical and nuclear weapons. And if they don't have WMD, what a diplomatic fiasco!
    I really believe there will be a sort of Watergate to this story where US will have to invent proofs that the Iraqis have indeed produced WMD. This might get ugly.

3) I think the US is sincerely underestimating the future consequences of its actions in Iraq. I'm not going to delve into details here.

The only thing that I see and that is clear is that the US is securing oil fields. As expected.

#18     Mar 24, 2003
  9. "Because the president has been spreading lies that these people will greet the troops with open arms, because he's been saying that these people are oppressed, because he's been saying that these people can't wait to get liberated, because he labeled this war Iraqi Freedom, when it turns out that none of the Iraqis want it."

Your entire post is nothing but lies.

#19     Mar 24, 2003
  10. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with trading anymore, and should be moved to the chit chat section where it belongs.

And I've got another brainwashed lefty to add to my ignore list.

#20     Mar 24, 2003