"War on Drugs"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Virtuoso, May 6, 2004.

1. pharmaceuticals

go ahead and shove loads of crap down our throats every day

a p[ill for this self-induced disease..

another for that..

lol

what a joke.

we are our own worst enemies.

HELLO!

most disease is self-inflicted!

WAKE UP DUMB SHITS!

your lifestyle is making them rich. duh.

drugs?

it's the American way. :-\

hypocrites!!!

#101     May 7, 2004
  2. You're missing a lot, most notably that which usually resides in your cranium.

p.s. Ve haf vays uff mekkeeng u theenk, dumpkopf!

Heil Hapa!

#102     May 8, 2004
  3. I disagree. Drug use and selling are not victimless activities. Legalizing them would not, IMHO, make them victimless.

Do you really understand what a drug like crystal meth does to people? My state has the worst crystal meth problem in the nation; it is wreaking havoc here and is the root cause of a very high percentage of crimes such as assaults, break-ins, etc. Recently an 11-year-old girl was bludgeoned to death by a relative she loved and trusted who was using.

How is legalizing it going to eliminate these kinds of effects?

#103     May 8, 2004
  4. Drug prohibition is the only reason crystal meth is widely manufactured in the first place. Unlike cocaine, crank can be easily synthesized using cold pills, red phosphorous flares, and other commonly available chemicals.
    Legalize nice clean natural & enjoyable blow, and nobody will want to touch that filthy synthetic crank tweeker shit.

Once again, you've made my point for me. Thanx.

#104     May 8, 2004
  5. Wrong.

Crystal meth is much stronger than cocaine. Euphoria lasts from 8 - 24 hours. Doing coke will carry you for 20 minutes. Cocaine users often switch to meth for precisely that reason. Why would you go from the Lamborghini to the Pinto? Because the Pinto is legal? LOL.

Even if you were correct, it doesn't change what the effects of cocaine are. You may enjoy the prospect of coke-addicted friends and neighbors destroying themselves, their families, and then have non-addicts like myself paying for their stupidity as we do thanks to alcohol and tobacco. I do not.

Hard drugs will NEVER be legalized in this country. Call it fascist, freedom-constraining, moralistic, hypocritical (the alcohol & tobacco argument), whatever - it's never gonna happen.

#105     May 8, 2004
  6. Even if you were correct, it doesn't change the effects of guns and automobiles. You may enjoy the prospect of gun toting car drivers destroying themselves, their families, and then have non-gun/car owners like myself paying for their stupidity as we do thanks to alcohol and tobacco. I do not.

or

Even if you were correct, it doesn't change the effects of high caloric/high fat carb diets. You may enjoy the prospect of fat fucks destroying themselves, their families, and then have non-fat fucks like myself paying for their stupidity as we do thanks to ho-hos and twinkies. I do not.

#106     May 8, 2004
  7. Hapaboy, I agree that drug use can cause significant social problems. There is an important point that perhaps you don’t realize; that all the people who want to do drugs are already doing drugs. The drug war is a complete failure in restricting supply to those that want drugs, a complete failure. Legalization is not going to mean much of rise in drug use at all. (Are you going to rush and start using drugs if they’re legalized? No? Neither are the vast, vast majority of current non-users.) Ipso facto, the problems related to drug use will also remain unchanged (not much) from their current level.

I know of the emotional argument, “but what about the children, think of the children!”. I think it’s one of the feelgood lies non-drug users tell themselves that the ‘drug war’ is protecting their children. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is pure simplicity itself for any school kid to get drugs. And get them they do. Again, it’s a case of all those wanting to do drugs are doing them. Legalization essentially changes nothing here either.

But even if I agree that we could expect some sort of a rise in drug use, there are still two compelling arguments for drug legalization.

Firstly, it’s a ‘lesser of two evils’ case. So, accpeting that there will be some rise in drug use, and consequantly greater social problems, these are far, far less than the current problems cauased by restricting drugs. The drug war is outrageously expensive, it completely fails to achieve its aim and ruins the lives of people incarcerated on drugs charges. How does it achieve the third? A dealer or user, or at least the great majority of them, aren’t violent criminals (on the basis of their dealing alone, that is), and yet sending them to prison virtually guarantees that they become more violent and that the are introduced to a whole range of other criminal activities and it ruins their chances of gaining meaningful employment. Compare the two evils and it’s easy to see which one is the lesser.

Secondly, like it or not, there is a great moral issue here. Similarly to how we conservatives/libertarians argue against the current levels of taxation on principles -- and expect to be taken seriously -- there is also an argument for legalization on principles. Why embrace one and not the other?

I can completely understand how you could be so against drugs as to want to execute dealers. I hate the fucking things (drugs) too. I too wish we could eliminate them. I too wish people would wise up to how destructive drugs can be. But realistically, it’s just not going to happen. Our best hope is to bring drugs into the mainstream and thus employ all resources to dealing with the problems of their use. (Better research --> better/safer drugs, and better education.)

PS – I also disagree that hard drug legalization is never going to happen. IMO, it’s just a matter of time.

#107     May 8, 2004
  8. I came accross this quote this morning as I read Don Quixote... "There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war" -- It seemed fitting.

#108     May 8, 2004
  9. maxpi

maxpi

Legalizing it will allow for discussion, education and rationality. People will be able to make better choices about what they get high on.

I am a veteran of the war on drugs, I am not saying which side I was on though. I have seen what people do to themselves and have concluded that it is largely because of the lack of open discussion.

Max

#109     May 8, 2004
  10. Mecro

Mecro

Technically, any drug in Holland is not legal but it is not criminalized. That's why I say decriminalized, it's somewhat different. There is no prosecution and search for illegal drug users or even medium dealers. The Holland authorities only go after the top dealers of hard drugs, like hardcore smugglers which they try to intercept at the borders. Those guys are coldblooded criminals so can't really blame them.

Cafes sell pot, cannabis foods and mushroom foods. Here and there, some have X and some coke but those mysteriously get closed down by the government after a period of time.

The masses will do drugs regardless of the penalty. Even where drug use punishment is death, it still exists. It is better to educate and regulate all and any drugs instead of leaving it up to the black market.

I've done my share and I have to say that alcohol is one of the strongest drugs EVER. It is psycho altering, it is poisonous, it cause long term brain, liver and stomach damage. It's right up there with heroin & coke. If alcohol can be legal, then the rest of the drugs should be as well.

P&T focused on cannabis because that is the most widely used and persecuted substance.

#110     May 8, 2004