'War is not the answer'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by olias, Jul 8, 2010.

1. olias

olias

I've always been bothered by the old adage 'war is not the answer'. Sure sounds nice on a bumper sticker, but I think it is lousy. By the way, I respect the hell out of Howard Zinn and would listen and read anything he had to say about the subject. I wish I could say that I believed that wars are not necessary at times, but do you really think that attitude is going to work for any nation? Anyway, I came across a quote from John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), and I think it's worth reflecting on and debating:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice, — is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other."

Too bad it doesn't fit nicely on bumper sticker

2. WAR what is it good for absolutely nothing say it say it say it WAR...

3. what about a war because a moron hears voices in his head. is that worth fighting for?

Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

And "now again", Mr Bush is quoted as telling the two, "I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."