WAR IN 72 HOURS... TIME FOR UNITY... WHATEVER OUR DIFFERENCES...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by candletrader, Mar 16, 2003.

1. I have this sickening feeling that Bush's address to the country possibly tomorrow won't be "Saddam has x days to disarm..." but more like "Approximately 6 hours ago I ordered the 5th division of the air force to attack...."

I hope and pray that something good will come out of this. I fear for everyone's children...ours and theirs.

#11     Mar 16, 2003
  2. Foz

Foz

The war isn't starting on Monday. The Bush administration promised it would give foreigners a warning to get out of the country? Do you think they are going to start bombing with dozens of UN inspectors all over the place??

What may very well happen on Monday is that Bush gives a primetime speech giving Iraq a day or two's notice. This would give Saddam a final chance to go into exile and his generals a chance to stage a coup. And, of course, foreigners a chance to get out of the country.

Once Bush gives his speech, disarming will be off the table. Bush will be looking for nothing less than regime change.

#12     Mar 16, 2003
  3. tampa

tampa

"Support our troops" - what exactly does that mean? I know of no American who wishes them ill.

It seems to me that "support our troops" means nothing more than "shut-up". No matter how inept, no matter how immoral, no matter how foolish the adventure may be, keep quiet.

Do I "support the troops"? NO. I wish them God's speed, I wish them no ill I wish that they had never been put in harms way. But I , for one, will not be silenced in my opposition.

#13     Mar 16, 2003
  4. I think the next speech would be an announcement of an ordered attack as opposed to "We are going to attack in the next x days" No commander in chief would do that for it would negate suprise element as well as invite preemptive attacks by the enemy. As far as warning inspectors and non-essential personel to evacuate. Do you think they get them through CNN? They get them though diplomatic telexes, or whatever classified briefings /methods. They probably got them last week ! In addition, they don't need days maybe 8-14 hours tops just enough to get out of Baghdad into Jordan/Turkey/. Let us all hope that it won't happen but it doesn't look good.

#14     Mar 16, 2003
  5. Brethren Candle,

If you ever need a place to chill in northern MD, come party at my new place. Let's crack open a fresh 6-pack and watch some basketball and forget about these nasty times right now.

No matter what happens, I've always got your back brotha

#15     Mar 17, 2003
  6. I'd need a 12 pack (for myself). :)

FRuiTY

#16     Mar 17, 2003
  7. Do you know of anyone who is buying puts and/or outright shorting the market, hoping for a war disaster?

Not hedging longs, but hoping and betting on disaster.

I do.

I seriously doubt they are hoping their puts make money, and at the same time hoping the war goes well.

#17     Mar 17, 2003
  8. rs7

rs7

Sad:(

#18     Mar 17, 2003
  9. rs7

rs7

Yes, Babak, let us all pray for FRED. As they do in the Scandinavian countries.

For those newer "Brethren" lost in the context of this allusion, I feel no guilt in re-posting this link yet once again.

There is never too much repetition of the second most important word we have:

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/9356/wordsof.htm

#19     Mar 17, 2003
  10. [​IMG]

#20     Mar 17, 2003