Wanting to start a systematic trading approach

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by c.chugani, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Start here, and take notes as you go. Everything you need, you'll find within the many pages. If you need additional clarification, post your questions here.

Enjoy the Journey. It really is just as important as the destination.

- Spydertrader

#21     Aug 21, 2006
  2. Thanx grob for your effort and time.

Thanx spyder as well, I shall definitely look up the links you posted.

I guess I have a lot of studying to do.

Shall keep you updated on my progress and come back to post on this thread with more specific questions related to what I will be teaching myself from now on (based on your recommendations).

Warm Regards,

Chirag

#22     Aug 22, 2006
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

Batman got it right. Excel is all you need. People who keep telling you to buy this expensive sw or that complicated package are either people too lazy to think for themselves or hucksters looking to sell you something.

All you need is a spreadsheet backtest template to test whatever strategies you want. Details to follow...

#23     Aug 22, 2006
  4. Thanx man.

Shall be eagerly awaiting your helpful input.

Regards,

Chirag

#24     Aug 23, 2006
  5. Learn to program.

Everyone has their own compentency but eventually, as a system trader, you have to code your own database, tester, and execution platform.

TraderStudio, Wealth-Lab, Tradestation, TradeBlox... etc. etc. are a good starting point but you have to break public (3rd party package) boundaries / limitations.

All the 3rd party package can't handle what I do now... unless they provide me with a source and I tweak the whole thing around... (which is just a waste of time)

#25     Aug 23, 2006
  6. taowave

taowave

No disrespect to anyone,but I can not see how you could reccomend to anyone starting out in trading to develop their code in Excel...

First of all,you can buy excellent software products for $500 or less.In my mind,that is money well spent.And to write that people who reccomend you buy software packages are" either too lazy to think for themselves or hucksters looking to sell you something is a ridiculous statement."

Have you listened to a word he wrote????

Hes a distressed beginner,overwhelmed with choices and where to start,and you are telling him to learn how to code systems,indicators in Excel??

#26     Aug 23, 2006
  7. WinDiff

WinDiff

How quickly do you want to lose money?

#27     Aug 23, 2006
  8. Sorry? Was that directed towards me?

Sorry if I created any sort of confusion, but by "systematic trading approach" I would like to have a plan of action. A so-called system for which I can aim to continuously pursue a certain target in a given period (on a consistent basis).

Basically I was refering to a trading methodology by which I set targets, control my risks, take my profits, etc. etc. It doesn;t have to be done through a computer programme.

Hell, someone could even recommend a book that outlines the necessary steps one should take to develop their own personal trading method which suits their own needs.

Rite now, with the abundance & complexity of all the information, the technicalities of this kind of business, the market competency, etc.etc. I feel as though I am merely gambling and speculating with my money - something the market's big fish are definitely aware of and will snatch away from me if I don't take the required measures to prevent it.

#28     Aug 23, 2006
  9. pattersb

pattersb Guest

a couple differences between trading and gambling are: in trading you can place you bet after the race has started and you call in your bet early and cut your losses if/when you start to lose. If your pony is falling behind on the track, tough-sh*t.

don't try to figure it out quickly, that ain't gonna happen. minimize your loses as you learn.

maximize your probabilities of winning. bet on the strongest trends, for example. And always, buy low and sell high. DONT CHASE!!!!

I'm not profitable trading yet, but I'm not much further than you are. Investing, I've done fine. Trading is another ball of wax.

good luck.

#29     Aug 23, 2006
  10. WinDiff

WinDiff

Yeah speculating using a broken mirror implanted at the back of your head, just to see clearly?

Try this ... control my risks, take losses, some more and then few more and then profits, if any? Can you bare that? Once you can you may have a chance!

On a consistent basis? Yah imagine yourself sitting on a beach, all day long, shugging a nice women (preferably all day long as well), while making plenty of cash using your super duper "systematic trading approach"? He he he

Good luck Wizard!

#30     Aug 23, 2006