Wanted: UPS 208V 3P 10kW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgookin, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Anyone know where I can find a 208V 3-phase 10kW minimum UPS on the cheap? It only needs about 3 minutes run time.

Thanks!

2. bump
    anyone?

3. 10KW? That's a lot, even for 3 minutes. Most of the big computer UPSs are 1 or 1.5 KW.

4. whoa!

that's big-boy territory. what the heck are you trying to power?

fwiw, I don't know of ANY decent 10kw UPS units that run 208V, most are 400V.

Also, you'd probably be better off looking at a stand-alone 15kw UPS ...

Or go to the junkyard and pull an old VW diesel motor :p

Seriously, what are you trying to power?

For example:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SL15KG

^^^^^^^ that thing is awesome...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-UPS-208...aultDomain_0&hash=item27c3b755b8#ht_500wt_809

^^^ I've bought from that seller before if it makes any difference - really decent guy.

You do understand you are buying a refrigerator-sized battery right? Shipping will cost you$600-$1,200 no matter where it's coming from. Shoot me a PM if you are serious and in the NYC area. I have a few connections with building operations guys who "charge" to remove this stuff then sell on the side.

5. I want an update on this?

Does OP have a grow room or own large amounts of office space?
    :p

I'm really curious... I own a couple 120v and 208v smart UPS 3000's and they are more than enough for a 25U or not-full 48U rack but you are talking about powering times square for 3 minutes (I assume till you get the CAT's running?

6. This is the same ;) No joke.

210-230 volt 1 phase = 280-400 volt "3 phase". The poster said 208v 3 phae.

Has something to do with the 3 phases being degree separated wso the equivalent average power is higher than on one phase.

VCauses a lot of confusion with the uneducatd (including housing agents when you look for space like that). I get a ton of "no, there is no 3 phase power but 380 volt in the basement" crap because the guy did not know that they are identical.

7. mokwit

mokwit

Hijacking the thread here but what kind of spec do I need to run a 30" LCD for 30 minutes min?

8. http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

I went to the right and selected Desktops. The three below came in for use with a 30-36" moniotr + a quad-core tower.

APC Smart-UPS 2200VA LCD 120V ($939) ~50min run time

APC Smart-UPS 3000VA LCD 120V ($1,250) ~55min run time

APC Smart-UPS XL 3000VA 120V Tower/Rack Convertible + (1)SUA48XLBP Battery Unit ($2,100) ~226min run time

9. mokwit

mokwit

Thanks winstontj.

BTW, I think the OP needs a fridge sized UPS is because he is running Firefox on his rig, hence the huge power draw from CPU/RAM

10. Not powering computers - industrial machinery. Found a steal on a 40kw. Just thought you good people would know source for mega duty ups. Thanks.

#10     Mar 4, 2012