wanted to buy: Wealth-Lab Developer

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Foz, Jan 17, 2004.

1. agrau

agrau

I was merely replying to Volker's statement " The license is per user and can not be transfered. " - and he should know, as he seems to be a partner/shareholder of Wealth-Lab Inc. (reference: http://www.vtad.net/mjoin_vorstand.html)

VTAD, "Verband Technischer Analysten Deutschlands", should you care to be curious, is the German "Market Technicians Association".

But, Volker, maybe you can join in and clarify.

[Added:] Just to add to my viewpoint, I must say that what I saw and heard about WL is just fine. I never tried myself, I am more a Unix guy, but WL seems to be good from other people's comments. So I am in no way trying to value the WL software.

I chimed in because I dislike WLs, and other companies, licensing restrictions. If I buy something, I want the right to give this something away for free, swap it against something different or sell it if there's a market. I see that a software manufacturer fears to loose control over market prices or is uncertain about software piracy. I see their point, but it's their problem to solve, not mine. I want to keep the handle on my property. Imagine you bought Enron at the stock market, don't read the fine print, only to find out you have a life-long ownership of Enron stocks. Oops. :p

#11     Jan 19, 2004
  2. samaras

samaras

I used to be in a similar industry line and I have to say that I like to pay 650 dollars and get a good software and support them then trying to be a smart guy and save a few hundred dollars. MS can be the richest company in the world if they produce a good OS and the same goes for WL. OJ Simpson and others have had good lawyers, I rather do what I feel is right and I never have read the license agreement of WL.

#12     Jan 19, 2004
  3. Turok

Turok

Thanks agrau.

>But, Volker, maybe you can join in and clarify.

That would be great if he did.

JB

#13     Jan 19, 2004
  4. agrau

agrau

Absolute agreement from my side. I, too, pay for my software. If the software is good, I pay.

But remember how this all started on the thread: Foz asked if someone has a free WL license s/he would like to sell. Which is, imho, absolutely possible and by no means a constructed situation. Now Foz seems to know that there's nothing like "used software" - so why not buy at a better price?

If I had a license I have no further use for, I would be glad to sell it with a discount to Foz. But hell, no, I would not be allowed to do so. I am allowed to pay. I am allowed not to use the license. I am allowed to destroy the license. But I am not allowed to trade it. And neither are you, whether or not you read the license terms and how you feel about what is right.

#14     Jan 19, 2004
  5. mark1

mark1 Guest

I don't understand where the problem is.
    Did you have a gun aimed to your head while you were accepting their licence agreement?
    If you don't like their so called "restriction", please don't buy their product, btw a great product if you ask me.

I think they have the right to sell a licence with rules they think are good for them , and you have the right to accept them or refuse them (we are not talking about cure for cancer).

And bashing a Company like WL is totally nosense, they are the best on the market when it comes down to customer support.
    And i speak for personal experience.

But , hey, I believe WL is one of the best weapons in my arsenal, so less people are using it, more profit in my pockets, so go on with this bla la bla...
    :D

#15     Jan 19, 2004
  6. Turok

Turok

>But , hey, I believe WL is one of the best weapons
    >in my arsenal, so less people are using it, more
    >profit in my pockets, so go on with this bla la bla...

LOL, I often say to myself "what the hell am I doing recommending this wonderful tool to the competition?"

So yeah, please the license sucks...don't anyone get it. ;-)

(for the record, I have no idea if it sucks and I really don't care)

JB

#16     Jan 19, 2004
    #17     Jan 19, 2004
  8. agrau

agrau

#18     Jan 20, 2004
  9. Quotes from agrau:

"Don't think in boxes, and even more important, don't put me into one. And please don't try to guess what I think about copyrights and intellectual property. Should you want to know: Ask"

How didactic - and disheartening. Are you a fan of Derrida by any chance? Don't think in boxes? Is that something you read recently?

"Secondly I reject your attempt to start talking about abuse. "

You what??

"Copyright fraud will happen no matter what is written in the license agreements. As of me..."

That should be 'As for me'. As a didact, you should appreciate this clarification.

"I have been talking about owning one (1) license and transfering one (1) license. And my demand to have the right to do so. Nothing more, nothing less."

What part of my post inspired this statement? I am having a hard time following your train of thought.

To the rest of you, sorry - just thought I'd post in the spirit of honest debate. This is a question in which I'm keenly interested. However, I'm not interested in engaging anyone like our friend here, so.... all the best.

BTW, I recently spoke with a successful trader and systems developer; he uses two programs for analysis, one of which is WLD

#19     Jan 20, 2004
  10. agrau, are you German? I am flattered that someone here knows that I am the president of the VTAD. For our US friends, the VTAD is the German version of the MTA (Market Technician Association).

I understand your point of view and I in fact was arguing just as you did before I really started to think about it. To boil it all down, I think if one is not happy with the license agreement he should not buy the product (whatever it is). There is a tremdendous amount of work that needs to be done to keep WLD3 on the top of the other trading softwares available. One thing we have in common with competitors who sell for a few thousand dollars is the license agreement. I guess that is the way we like to ensure that money keeps coming in and Wealth-Lab remains the trend setter (even if not all know yet :) - see next posting http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=27550).:D

#20     Jan 26, 2004