Want to Stay Safe While Traveling? Wear a Rolex

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by truetype, Nov 9, 2017.

1. truetype

truetype

Want to Stay Safe While Traveling? Wear a Rolex
    Plus other counterintuitive travel hacks, from sustainability expert and Travel Channel host Philippe Cousteau.

In dangerous areas, he relies on nice watches
    I was working on a project in Singapore, and an ex-[Special Air Service] soldier told me to always wear a nice watch: Don’t flaunt it, but have it with you. He had a stainless-steel Rolex and wore it everywhere. He told me that no matter where you travel, a good watch—like a Rolex—is like currency and is something you can always use to barter to get yourself out of trouble. You always hear “never have anything nice on expedition,” but that soldier’s advice was smart and practical so I always wear a “tradable” watch that can help get me out of a bind.

2. sle

sle

Wouldn't it make sense to actually have currency on your instead of a substitute? :)

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  3. speedo

speedo

Yeah, even a stainless Datejust is worth 4 figures.

4. speedo

speedo

Of course you can get very realistic knockoff's in Asia.

5. FX xtc 2

FX xtc 2

I carry a few Gold coins like James Bond.

Once I bought a fake Omega in China, it worked about 20 minutes.

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

4 figures at a retail store. It might be worth the price of your forearm in other places.

7. speedo

speedo

You can't get used one for less than a thousand on ebay.

8. thaitye

thaitye

Seems kind of dumb for a rolex though. Why not just have actual currency in your pocket. That way you're not attracting people to rob you.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

In Somalia, you can get one from a stupid tourist for the price of a machete.

sle likes this.