Want to be a professional trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ILM, May 4, 2007.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

#11     May 6, 2007
  2. I don't want to be disagreeable, but if you think you can find any "literature" that will share the trading skills of hundreds of traders, real-time, trading with $millions in the real world, then I applaud you. Most "literature" is written for the retail type trader and has nothing to do with the real world of trading. And, to be frank, I would love to hear what "seminars" have to do with this?

Immersion into a group of people who actually trade - and then give the opportunity to join them, use $millions of their capital, I think is of a value much greater than $1,000. We are not in the "school" business, we are in the trading business. The 3 day class is open to the public - and serves as a 2 way screening mechanismand, based on the number who join the Firm, after wading through all the cynicism and skepticism (about 50% or so), I think we do a pretty good job. This is not "buy when green, sell when red" type of stuff.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to those serious enought to see what trading at this level really entails.

(Just a "self-serving" but real and honest quote)

"When a big time job at a prestigious Wall Street bank didn’t pan out, Darren Clifford, who had just received his master’s degree from Smon Fraser University, was forced to reevaluate his options.

His timing – it was the summer of 2002 – might have been inauspicious. Tired of waiting for financial services recruiting to pick up post 9/11, Clifford turned to Bright Trading. Training under the Las Vegas – based prop legends Don and Bob Bright, he would eventually cofound his own pairs-trading firm, PairCo, a Bright affiliate. Clifford, along with his partner, Rob Friesen, oversees 40-plus traders. Not being willing to wait for Wall Street to find him has certainly paid off. He will make an estimated $350,000 from trading this year."

Full article, if anyone cares: http://www.stocktrading.com/trader10030.html

I am still smiling about the "legends" part (before that we were just "gurus" LOL), but the report is real, the traders are real, and we're still here after all these years.

All the best,

Don:)

#12     May 6, 2007
  3. mde2004

mde2004

Give up the job and become a pro trader since you have the background needed to take it to the next level. I quit my job and will never look back. Trading is the best job with the flexible hours and unlimited potential to really make it worthwhile.

#13     May 6, 2007
  4. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

Background? Analytical skills is only a tenth of what's needed. He has no background. An engineering background means very little.

Also, $1000 for training is dirt cheap and worth it because when you read books and try to learn on your own, no one is there to make sure you are doing it properly unless you start making money right away which is not something anyone should expect in the beginning...Besides, $1000 is a nice investment that will help you commit to it as opposed to a $30 trade for a living book that won't teach you sh!t.

#14     May 6, 2007
  5. Come on, guys. My idea is clearly the best here. Really.

:)

#15     May 6, 2007
  6. gkishot

gkishot

Don't quit your computer job yet. Not before you realize that you can become a successful trader.

#16     May 6, 2007
  7. patoo

patoo

Hey, ILM! From one computer geek to another. gkishot is right.

1) Being a computer geek got in my way, 'cuz sucessful trading has little to do with programming a computer.

2) Learn to trade first and then quit. The sink or swim method usually ends in sinking and all your money left behind in the market.

#17     May 6, 2007
  8. I'm sorry. There is absoluetely no value in any literature out there.

Are you guys serious? I'm 19 years old... I have a mentor online and another one for a fund that I am working for (that does not do what I want to do so it's not too much use). And this is my only "real" communication with traders.

I have learned a great deal of what I know from books.

If you're driven I believe you can learn by yourself, though, of course its easier to learn from other people that have been there.

It doesn't make sense as a first step to shell out 1000 dollars - my opinion.

#18     May 6, 2007
  9. it is very easy,open your account and trade your capital by yourself

#19     May 10, 2007
  10. SDticks

SDticks

Go and get a job at an actual proprietary trading company. Not that pro firm bs that most people on ET are familiar with. A proprietary trading firm is one that does not require a deposit. Chicago is littered with them and they mostly trade futures, although some exist in other locations. It's an actual job, so you can't just walk in there plunk down a deposit and start trading. A lot of firms are looking for some programming ability so you may have a shot at getting in.

#20     May 11, 2007