Wanna keep good time ya gotta have a good watch.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by uptik2000, May 3, 2006.

1. Like my clothes, most of the watches I own were gifts.
    Now I'm looking to buy myself a decent watch. I've looked at a few local jewlery stores which seem to be over priced but willing to negotiate.

Has anyone ever purchsed a decent watch on-line?

I checked out watchesplanet.com and tourneau.com
    Any good/bad experiences anywhere?

I'm not looking for a Rolex. I like some of the Oris, Omega, TAG(even though everyone's got one), and Hamilton.

Thanks for any input.

Uptik

2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Raymond weil

3. stu

stu

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

If by decent you mean that the watch is on time, you can have one for $10...
    If by decent you mean that it is expensive so people would notice that you are a big swinging dick trader, try:

www.lussori.com

or

http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/28/1128pow.html

5. Pabst

Pabst

One of my best friends is a watch addict. You named, in your price range, EXACTLY the watches most in demand. I'll be talking to my buddiy later today. I'll ask him about hypothetical buys at a K or so. BTW: I wear a twenty year old Rolex Air King. Probably worth $1500. Very understated watch and I'm amused when a few times a year someone will say "nice Rolex" about a watch that's worth 10% of a Presidential...

6. Thanks Pabst. Yeah, $900-$1,500 is the range I'm looking for.

Actually the Air King is the only Rolex that I would buy. A friend of mine had one that I always admired.

There's a Tourneou store near my parent's house. Next time I'm down there I'll try on a few. I'm looking for a quality watch, that doesn't look like I have a clock on my arm(like a Lunari would) and one that will be in style 50yrs from now.

My brother in-law has a nice Patek Phillepe but it's more of a dress watch. I want something that I can wear on the weekend with a Polo shirt and shorts, but also looks great with a nice suit. Sort of like James Bond ..but I don't like that Omega Seamaster b/c of the blue face.

7. Nice watch. I have a steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust, which is a bit less understated than the Air King, and which I bought in 1983. It has been through everything. Unless I get mugged along the way, I imagine it will be the last watch I will ever own. Incidentally, the retail value of your watch is fairly higher than the number you suggested. New, I think it is closer to double that amount.

8. jem

jem

Back when I was into watches because (I was single and I was shitting cash) I always checked the watch case at price club in San Diego. Ocassionally you would see sweet Omegas, Tags and and other nice watches in there virtually half priced.

I picked up a Baume and Mercier and Raymond Weil the Weil was lees than half the "retail" price.

9. Pabst

Pabst

You own a true classic. That's the great thing about a Rolex, in 2050 they'll still look "in style."

#10     May 3, 2006