Walmart = Good?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. I knew it! Walmart really is good for the economy and even the locals:

http://www.forbes.com/business/comm...-economy-biz-commerce-cx_tvr_0110walmart.html

"While it is widely (or maybe not so widely) believed that Wal-Mart wipes out local jobs and depresses wages, "the findings suggest the opposite: Firm growth, employment and total earnings were somewhat stronger in Wal-Mart counties," the report says. Still, according to a Pew study cited by the report, 24% of Americans think the company is bad for the economy, and 31% had an unfavorable view of it."

2. WMT was "good" until its stock price peaked at ~$70 per share at the beginning of 2000. Ever since then, sentiment has been bearish towards the stock and the company. It's not entirely guided by rational logic.

3. Actually, there's a reason: Walmart has had many difficulties in going global. That's where their future growth is. Until they solve that, the market sees it meandering in slower and slower growth stages...

4. i simply hate wal mart haters. Wal mart is a great thing for america... hell the world even. It saves people money plain and simple.

5. I'm with you. I wish there was one on every corner. I don't know why anyone shops anywhere else...

6. SSB-----I was referring to negative sentiment towards WMT as it relates to the notion of it putting smaller retailers out of business, paying low wages with no benefits to employees, selling too much junky merchandise and junk food, municipalities opposing the construction of new stores and it putting enormous price pressure on its suppliers. Those are "domestic" things that were never spoken of until after its price-peak.

7. Walmart is only one side of the market though. Walmart is for the low end and for that market you've got to expect low wages and low margins. Massive bulk buying power is the only way to survive here and it will always be that way.

Walmart is simply the best at what they do: the lowest possible cost.

But here's what arguments like the above ignore: there's Target! Seriously. Not everyone likes the junky, warehousey atmosphere of most Walmarts. And they go to Target. Target is probably on average 5% more.

And if you don't like Target, there a dozen malls around town where you can spend as much as you dang well please and get the quality that your rich behind deserves.

But the point is that we have wisely allowed Mr. Walton to show us how to do the low end right. That way, we the American Consumer, can decide for ourselves if we want dirt cheap, next to dirt cheap or rico suave.

But don't curse the memory of Sam Walton, who has forever changed the low end market for the better and brought dirt cheap to people who need and want dirt cheap.

I say if you (not you personally) don't like it, go to Target.

8. I couldn't have said it any better. Completely agree.

Why should I go to the neighborhood store and buy the same exact groceries for 20% more?

9. Welcome, Brother Kevin.

10. Quote from ShoeshineBoy:

Walmart is only one side of the market though. Walmart is for the low end and for that market you've got to expect low wages and low margins. Massive bulk buying power is the only way to survive here and it will always be that way.

Walmart is simply the best at what they do: the lowest possible cost.

But here's what arguments like the above ignore: there's Target! Seriously. Not everyone likes the junky, warehousey atmosphere of most Walmarts. And they go to Target. Target is probably on average 5% more.

I find the Target and WalMarts mostly identical. Target is a bit upscale, but not that much.

#10     Feb 7, 2008